Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally I was able to get out all by myself and concentrate on fishing instead of trying to get other people on fish. First time in over three weeks believe it or not.

I dropped my daughter off at school and off to Broxsons for cigs. No cigs there so I stopped by the pier. They had what they were selling as cigs but werent cigs. No idea what they were actually. They were a scad like a cig but much fatter and flatter instead of cigar shaped. They were also pretty damn mushy.

With the late start I knew bait was going to be tough and it was. Caught about ten decent cigs and headed out. On the way I saw a buddy so I made a detour to talk to him a minute.

After that I head on over to my spot and zzzzziiiinnnngggg. First fish of the day was a really nice king in the mid forty inch range.

I make it to my spot, the wind wasnt too bad and the water has really cleaned up. I love it when I get to my spot and look down and see snapper, kings, and cobia just swimming in circles about fifteen feet down.

First drop was a cobia. He wasnt big but worth a measure. Since he was close I decided to use my grips instead of a gaff as a couple months ago I gaffed a ling that was just short and I felt really bad. While trying to get the grips on he popped.

For the next few drops it was several nice snapper or empty hooks. Not ONCE did I bring up a baited hook, I either caught a fish or lost my bait, all day.

Next fish of notability was a solid keeper cobia in the twenty to thirty pound range. The weird thing was that at first I thought I had a remora because he was coming up with ease. As soon as I saw him and he saw me he went absolute ape and spit the hook before I could get a gaff in him. I was bummed.

I continue catching more snapper when I drop down a big live turbo cig and it gets HAMMERED. I was rewarded after a tough fight with the biggest snapper Ive ever caught or seen in person. She was longer then my outback is wide so I was guessing something in the mid thirty inch rang. Notice how small the fish grips look in her mouth. A ]v[ONSTER for sure. It hurt throwing that beast back.

I end up catching three more short cobia and several more snapper.

I end up running out of bait but with the bite on fire I had to figure something out. I decided to drop down my only weighted duster and just jig it bare. At just one ounce I was lucky the wind had died other wise I would have never gotten it down.

First drop, BAM, another cobia about thirty inches, he had three friends with him when he came up too. I was surprised it worked. I dropped a few more times and every time I had some really big trigger fish follow it up to the surface. They never ate unfortunately. They were real pig triggers too. With their interest in the duster Im surprised Ive never caught one on this spot.

I drop again and this time see a nice cobia following it. He was about twenty feet down so I couldnt tell exactly how big he was but he ate and my seventeen pound test, that I use for trolling only, broke thus ending my day.

Total for the day, four just short cobia, three lost, one king and at least fifteen red snapper, probably more.

No fish in the box but the weather was beautiful and the fish were biting. Felt good getting some good ole salt water therapy out there all by my self.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That snapper was a real pig. I swear she would have been legal if you measured here top to bottom, lol.

Since my last Gulf trip that ended up in a debacle I had to take apart my good old senator and get all of the sand out and clean it up good. I greased the hell out of it and it was buttery smooth.

Ive been rocked on this spot many times so maybe she was the Queen of the reef, but hopefully she isnt the only one that big and next snapper season she will oblige me for a dinner date one evening.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Awesome report and I am glad that your luck is changing:thumbup:. after reading some of your other post you were definately due for some "you" fishing. I wish Navarre was closer because I would really like to go out there one day. Just seems like it is great during the week when I am working and when I finally do get a chnace the wind or surf is crazy. I will make it down there some day though. Hopefully when I do there are still fish to catch seeing how it looks like you and the other Navarre regulars are catching them all:notworthy:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its great here, bottom spots are few and far in between but if you put some time out there youll find you a good spot or two. Also, I believe since we are pretty good clip from either pass, we tend to get cleaner water which may help with the pelagics being a little closer in. Also, you rarely have to deal with boats out here.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Good job JD, I was out there today and it was pretty flat. Saw a lot of baby pomps in the surf, but none brought home.

·
Registered
417 Posts
im pretty sure navarre sells popeyes. not sure if thats their real name but thats what everyone calls them.:thumbsup:

·
Formerly Hank Hill
839 Posts
Sounds like you somehow appeased the fishing gods and they smiled on you. Good for you. That's a fat snapper.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Wow Great report! Without giving out too much info can you give me an idea of how far out you guys paddle in navarree? I know it seems to get deeper quicker over there. About what depth do you fish?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You start running into live bottom about two miles out. You just have to put in time. I would say that I find a spot for every twenty miles traveled. Maybe even more miles. There isnt much out there but when you do find it, you get rewarded.

Sixty five feet and on out, but I will warn you, you get to sixty five feet pretty easily, the next five feet seems to take forever to get to.

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
Nice fish and nice report. Sounds like it was a pretty good day. Wish we'd see more of those bigger cobia but we only catch the 24-30 inchers. I think we might have to move a bit further out for those.

Outbacks are 33 inches wide, so if the snapper was bigger than that, that is most definitely a beast. Biggest yak snapper I had heard of until yours was 33 inches.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts