Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i shoot alot of guns, an i love it but i want to make a big turn around an take a bow out there... any one have suggestions. im not sure how or what to by. like draw lenth and tha type of stuff. is it more on prefrence?

any help would be nice

4,058 Posts
MR.STAAL (11/29/2007)i shoot alot of guns, an i love it but i want to make a big turn around an take a bow out there... any one have suggestions. im not sure how or what to by. like draw lenth and tha type of stuff. is it more on prefrence?

any help would be nice

wow...draw length is person-specfic. your best bet would be to go to a knowledgable and reputable archery pro-shop (i do all my hunting up in central alabama so really cant help you out if youre in the pensacola area) and talk to someone who knows their stuff. try shooting a few different bows and see what feels good to YOU...not someone else.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've Bow Hunted for 25 yrs, things to ask youself.

1.How much money do you want to spend. 2. Bows are like PC's always upgrading ( so what you get today may be old tomorrow ). 3. How old are you will determine how long you will be bow hunting. Personally, I shoot a PSE because it was a good deal ( all bows will kill ), I started with a Bear then a Bear Whitetail ll , its all about what you want & can afford. I have more invested in my 9 yr. olds bow than my own. so if money is no object go to Outcast or mikes, If you want to save money go to academy, dont forget the accessory's cost $$ wisker biscuits, sights, limb savers, quivers, releases, arrows, broad heads, & a good target. Bows are like Boats without motors( accessory's ). Every year do something to upgrade your bow. Get a Scott Release, I've had the same one for 25 yrs. I didn' even mention speed because its really not a factor to me because I will not shoot over 30 steps. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Go to OutCast and talk to Anthony, Tim, or James. Allow them to show you the range of products they have available and shoot some. You can get in as deep as you want, but one thing should become clear: There are some high end products that shoot incredibly well, and there are some not so costly products that will almost shoot as good. Thisis because about 10-12 years ago technology moved incredibly fast as inovation after inovation came quickley in the bow building industry, but now, most companies that build bows seem to have caught up to each other. OutCast should have the range that would allow you to see a good mix of products and get a feel for what you would like to own, and they will show it to you on your terms.

The people at Mike's are too GREAT to spend any time with someone as unexperienced as me, and I don't do anything but bother them, so OutCast would be my choice.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Like Garbo said go to Outcast Anthony or one of the guys working there will set up a couple of bows for you to shoot. I would look at the Ross, Bowtech and the Diamond bows. The Ross has a very smooth draw but is not as fast as the Bowtech or Diamond. Its all in how the bow feels to you. I am plannning on getting a new bow and will go with either the Ross Cardiac or Bowtech Guardian. Here are the links for the companies I mentioned.

http://www.rossarchery.com/

http://www.bowtecharchery.com/

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
seminolewind (11/29/2007)Like Garbo said go to Outcast Anthony or one of the guys working there will set up a couple of bows for you to shoot. I would like at the Ross, Bowtech and the Diamond bows. The Ross has a very smooth draw but is not as fast as the Bowtech or Diamond. Its all in how the bow feels to you. I am plannning on getting a new bow and will go with either the Ross Cardiac or Bowtech Guardian.
I bought a Ross Cardiac, and bought it from OutCast. I have shot Mathews for years and I would look real hard at the Ross Cardiac, Smooth Draw, fas and lightweight. Pleasure to shoot. I love mine.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Curtis I shot a Mathews for a while the SQ2 I really liked the bow but like you said the Cardiac is one of the smoothest bows I have seen.

·
Registered
340 Posts
ilove my Guardian it is thebest bow i have ever owned. but i would shoot ever bow on the market before i made my choice. good luck in finding a bow

·
Registered
143 Posts
i shoot a Golden Eagle Superhawk. It is a great bow. I would love to get my hands on a Golden Eagle Obsession. Also check out high country bows. they are super lightweight. A high country Iron Mace with good arroows will launch up to 390FPS which is amazing

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have been hunting with a bow for 2 years NOW I DONT KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT ITYET BUT I DO KONW THAT IT ONLY TAKE 40POUNDS TO KILL A DEER I SHOOT 90POUNDS BUT U NEVER KNOW WHEOR WHEN U R GOING TO SHOOT ONE I ONLY SHOT ONE DEER WITH MINE BUT I LIKE TO HUNT WITH MY 30/06

IT HAS A LOT TO DO WITH THE WIND WHEN U BOW HUNT

4,058 Posts
David (11/29/2007) NOW I DONT KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT ITYET BUT I DO KONW THAT IT ONLY TAKE 40POUNDS TO KILL A DEER I SHOOT 90POUNDS

pretty sure that one guy on the forum's son gets away with shooting 35 pounds...anyways....you shoot 90 pounds? care to include a picture of what you look like?

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Another good place to go is Buck & Bass Sporting Goods... 6827 Pine Forest RD 944-5692

Great customer service and want treat you like your wasting their time.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Definitely check out the Ross Cardiac. I shot one last year and then checked them out again this year. I shot everything on the market. I caught the Ross on sale and bought it right away. I almost bought the new Mathews Drenalin, but glad I got the Ross. It shoots great. Quiet, smooth, and fast. I shoot out to 50 yards with great confidence and I'm no expert! Make sure not to skimp on sites and rest. Kinda like a scope w/ a rifle. The Ross is usually a bit cheaper and let me tell you from experience, their customer service is second to none.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Every once in a while Sportsmansguide (www.sportsmansguide.com) will have a special on a package deal with bows from Bear, Browning, or one of the other manufacturers. Several years ago I picked up a combo from them with a High Country Archery bow, quiver, sight, etc. for something like $300 - it shoots great - over 300 fps. I've been pretty happy with it.

Still - the best advice you've gotten is to go to one of the reputable sprting good shops and check them out. Depending on where you are, there's a Bass Pro shop in Destin and a new one in Montgomery - they usually have a room where you can shoot their bows to check them out.

Good Luck -

Ed

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
one big one (11/29/2007)90 lbs, dont think you will see any pics? do they even make a 90 lb bow ( not including cross bows)?
In 2001 Bowtec introduced the "Sampson" which could have draw weghts of 80-90-100 lbs. If I am not mistaken it could go to 110lbs. The bow was supposed to be "The Bow" for Africa and Dangerous Game. I have never drawn one but I would feel that anyone that shoots often at #80 would be able to draw it at least a couple of times without too much grief.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
shoot a mathews. I have been shooting the switchback for a couple of years and it is the smoothest bow on the market

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
youve got a lot of advice on here, so i wont get too winded. but in looking at brands and quality vs price... take a look at some of the parkers at mikes on 29. CRAZY prices on a few total outfits (which is what youll need since youre starting from scratch).

i know that outcast has put a lot (or maybe all) of their 2007 bows on sale. and ask a few of the guys who've been bowhuntinga long time, the technology isnt going to be much different between 07 and 08. nothing ridiculously sport altering has been introduced in that past decade or so.

hope all this helps!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Well I just got my Christmas present a little early this year. A Fred Bear Instinct, it is sweet. I have only shot it 5 times since Sunday, but I love it already. I got it from Mikes on 29. I heard some bad things about them, but the guy helping me was outstanding and I got a hell of a deal. Just my 2cents.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts