Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SaltWaterDave
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done lots of reading on the net about types of sausage and recipes. I have to ask though, if anyone here does much of it. What is your favorite blend of spices (not store bought)? Type to make? Do you use natural or synthetic casings? Where do you get casings locally? Since I have my own grinder, and a nice batch of venison already ground up and lots of pork fat on hand I was hoping to do a batch today so I need some casings today.

I was thinking a 20% fat mix, peppery, garlicky blend. Am i on the right track? Do you ever add cheese to yours? Any advice or precautions there?

I plan to tackle this today so I will post pictures and a report if I get everything I need.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
start out with a light blend of season all, salt, pepper, sage and garlic. do a small batch at a time untill you have tweeked the recipe to your liking. fry a patty up after each batch for tasting. might try adding water or broth to the mix before stuffing to keep it moist while smoking. it's a good, fun way to spend some family time.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Academy Sports and Bass Pro carry collagen casings and fiberous (summer sausage and salami) casings. If you intend to do much of this, invest in a couple of good cook books and use google to find a source of bulk spices. Corriander, fennel, powdered garlic. Local butcher shops will have the hog and lamb casings. Publix on Michigan ave in P-cola had them a couple years ago.

Check out sausagemaker.com and pre-plan. This can become addictive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts