Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any advice on killin a gobbler lol this year seems to be that every bird i find has a ton of hens... i went this morning and heard 5 different birds and 3 were together with several hens i got ahead of them and just sat there with my hen decoy out hoping that they would see her and come running but it wasnt that easy...a hen started purring and clucking so i started copying her and called her up but the gobblers didnt follow...they were like 100 yards from me and i know they didnt see me but they quit gobbling and i guess just went the other way...gonna go back this afternoonand see if i can get one to gobble on the limb for the morning

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have been hen screwed a lot this year too..................just keep going, they gotta break from them sometime soon

wes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we will see if roosted means roasted... i got 2 birds together to gobble at 7:00 first to a woodpecker pecking on a dead tree and then i got closer and they gobbled to me hoot owl... i will be sitting really close with my decoy out in the dark waiting on sunrise! i was in the same place they were at from this morning so there might be 3 gobblers together again

·
Registered
383 Posts
huntingjoel (4/5/2010)we will see if roosted means roasted... i got 2 birds together to gobble at 7:00 first to a woodpecker pecking on a dead tree and then i got closer and they gobbled to me hoot owl... i will be sitting really close with my decoy out in the dark waiting on sunrise! i was in the same place they were at from this morning so there might be 3 gobblers together again
It ought to be pretty in the morning. Getting in close you've got a 50 50 chance one will fly down right in front of you! As far as henned up turkeys you might try them later in the morning when some of the hens go of to lay an egg. Hang in there bro, you will get one, its sounds like your doin your homework! Good luck in the morning!

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,575 Posts
It's called pitch a tent and wait them out. Let em know where you are and then be quiet until later in the morning. As long as they stay in the area they will likely be lonely eventually and will come back to look for you. Just don't over call to them early on. An occassional yelp or two is all you need.Throw that hen decoy in the back seat of the truck and get you a lone jake. Or put both the jake and hen out together. The gobbler won't come to that hen because he will want her to come to him. Where as a jake will make the gobbler mad. He will think some young buck is moving in on one of his squeeze. He will come to investigate and lay the smack down.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You just have to hang with him. The gobbler I took last Sunday (see my Easter Gobbler thread) has been henned-up all season. Icalled him several times before I got him, and he always went with the hens. But for whatever reason, that changed last Sunday. He came right in.

I think the first part of turkey season is tough because all the hens have not been bred yet. So, the gobblers have a lot of willing hens to choose from. On my lease, the best time is usually April 1st through about April 10-15. Thats when most of the hen have been bred out and the gobblers start looking for love in other places, which usually makes them easier to call in.

Give him 4 or so days between weekend hunts to let things settle down...you don't want to call him and chase him everyday. Stay with him...You'll get him!

·
Your mom's a
6,788 Posts
Grassflatsfisher (4/5/2010)Throw that hen decoy in the back seat of the truck and get you a lone jake. Or put both the jake and hen out together.

That's what I was thinking. Sometimes his anger can override his urges and you'll get to come straightaway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts