Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Personally I prefer a 8/0 3x circle hook. I really like Owner hooks but for the price I will use the Mustad ultra point. 80# fluorocarbon leader. I’ve spooled my Torsa 40’s with 80# mono as well, it is better to lock the drag down tight and pull the fish away from the wreck. I would rather have a smelled hook but for the life of me, I have never been able to perfect a snell. I use a uniknot.
What do you guys prefer?

A868902B-EEF3-4991-8CCF-44BE512109E2.jpeg
5C7BB7DC-399F-47E8-A8BE-C838FDD02346.jpeg

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I like the 10/0 Ultra Points when fishing big baits (which is most of the time) and can tell no difference between mono and fluoro when bottom fishing. I can't imagine bottom fishing with anything but braid these days. You can feel every little tick and with zero stretch I feel like I get more fish off the bottom. For free lining I use those 8/0s 'cause they're easier to hide in the bait and go to fluoro leader, usually 40 or 50# for red snapper depending on how buggered they are and tie a double uni line to leader.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoil with mono because we go on a couple of charter trips every summer. The charter captains don’t want you to use braid. Too many tangles and if it gets in the cutlass bearings it burns them up.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely a lot smaller leaders of your fishing public stuff.
I don’t fish any public numbers. Been fishing here since 1988.
my machine has 5k waypoints in it. It will not accept any more. More than I will ever fish. Numbers I have accumulated over the years from friends , experience, charter captains, etc....

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Personally I prefer a 8/0 3x circle hook. I really like Owner hooks but for the price I will use the Mustad ultra point. 80# fluorocarbon leader. I’ve spooled my Torsa 40’s with 80# mono as well, it is better to lock the drag down tight and pull the fish away from the wreck. I would rather have a smelled hook but for the life of me, I have never been able to perfect a snell. I use a uniknot.
What do you guys prefer?

View attachment 1070486 View attachment 1070487
if you wanna try to snell a hook again look up a hillman aluminum plain tube from Lowe’s I think it’s part #884466. It’s a 3 in long 1/8 in hollow aluminum tube that has really helped me with snelling hooks with larger hooks and leaders.
I also use a 1 1/2 in long 3/16in hollow key way for smaller leader.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm not partial to any particular brand or size. The sizing is absurdly different from one brand to another anyways. I like to go lighter to get more bites. 6' of 40-50 lb flouro to a medium sized hook like a VMC 5/0 is my go to. If I'm going after grouper or AJ's I'll set it up to 15' of 80 or 100 lb mono or flouro depending on the depth.

I do shy away from the bent eye style circle hooks that have to be snelled though. I've lost a few fish on them while pumping and winding because when you pull on the hook the angle of the bent eye tips the hook back and encourages fish to slide towards the point of the hook. I'm not sure if it's a bad batch or they don't match my snelling technique (I guess that's the downside to prerigging different brands), but I have yet to have a uni knot break, so I just stick with that.

·
Registered
593 Posts
For all you guys having trouble snelling hooks this is the way to go. Mustad Power Snell Knot
I have been using this for the last 3 years and have never broken a hook off at the knot. For snappers I use 40# flouro leader and a mustad 39960DT hook in 10/0 or 12/0. Later in the season if the fish get finicky I drop down to 30# flouro and the 10/0 hook. For groupers I use 100# mono leader and the 12/0 mustad 39960DT hook.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'll have to try the power snell, looks promising. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts