Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you pros out there...

Does the wifi remote require you to be in a wifi zone or does it work out in the kayak?

I don't want to spend the money if it will only be useful in my house or other hotspots.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
6 Posts
The wifi will work anywhere as long as the blue light is flashing....if you hook it to your iphone it will not work underwater, but the remote will still operate the camera under water. Hope this helps

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What makes the blue light flash? The presence of a wifi signal (available wifi network) that it detects? Does the camera provide its own wifi signal or is it using nearby phone as a wifi source or what?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but the website does not tell me where the source of the wifi signal comes from.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Wirelessly posted

The gopro sends out a wifi signal and you can connect to it thru your phone. Not sure how the remote works but because I use my phone to control mine

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just got my new hero black and I think the remote is not as good as the cell phone app. it's a good feature but not worth the extra 50 or75 dollars. The wifi is not very strong.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think the term 'wifi' is throwing people off. Ithe term is overused and used incorrectly all over the place these days. With the go pro, It's a generic term that basically means 'wireless'. It's a signal from the remote to the camera. Your TV remote is 'wifi' by these descriptions.
With that said, the remote works great with the camera and cameras. I have a black, and Micha uses at hero2 with the backpack. Both of us have had great results. Adding a second camera has been a breeze.
I suppose the app works well, but I wear the remote around my neck. Not my camera.
As for it costing more, the remote comes with the black. It's more expensive that the silver or white but if you compare cameras, the extra cost is on the camera features, not just the remote.

Cheers
Drew

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys. I've decided to spend my money on a new kayak and stick w my hero 1. Since you all have the better cameras, will you just come over and film me catching my awesome fish? Thanks a lot.

Ted

1 - 11 of 11 Posts