Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
CATCH-ALL

I read the entire link you posted from the other forum. I find it funny how 2 people read the same things and come up with different opinions. I like Gary more after reading it. There seems to be one guy there that does not like Gary and keeps posting letters from about his job and results of some arguments with some IT guys 10 years ago??? I like the way he has defended himself and his views. Please tell me what you dislike about his views reguarding fishing regulations? I am also very surprised from your comments that you are supporting a man that operates a commercial fishing industry?? Reading from the link you posted I found this:

Martin Fisher: Owns and operates Rising Sun Fisheries!! He has 3 Gulf Commercial Fishing Vessels!!

Help me out with this catch-all what are you throwing your support to a commercial guy?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Inn Deep (3/25/2010)CATCH-ALL

I read the entire link you posted from the other forum. I find it funny how 2 people read the same things and come up with different opinions. I like Gary more after reading it. There seems to be one guy there that does not like Gary and keeps posting letters from about his job and results of some arguments with some IT guys 10 years ago??? I like the way he has defended himself and his views. Please tell me what you dislike about his views reguarding fishing regulations? I am also very surprised from your comments that you are supporting a man that operates a commercial fishing industry?? Reading from the link you posted I found this:

Martin Fisher: Owns and operates Rising Sun Fisheries!! He has 3 Gulf Commercial Fishing Vessels!!

Help me out with this catch-all what are you throwing your support to a commercial guy?
I'm glad you asked why the 100 Fathom Fishing Club's first choice is Martin Fisher, a commercial guy and our close-second choice is Larry Abele, an academic guy.

I did some checking around and was told by several people that Martin Fisher would be the west coast Florida version of Tony Iarocci, an east coast/ Keys commercial fisherman. I have known Tonysince 2002 during the time he was on the SAFMC Council. In all the key votes on important offshore amendments affecting recreational fishermen, he consistently voted NO against these halfassed regs, including one which was proposed by a fellow commercial fisherman, Ben Hartig (who BTW is back on the SAFMC Council wreaking havoc). Tony stuck up for rec fishermen. Sadly,Tony is no longer on the Council. Also, Martin Fisherhimself told me he no longer longlines, so that argument of Colecchio's goes out the window.

In regards to Abele, I don't know much about him but I do know that two people I admire and respect have endorsed him - Karl Wickstrom/ FS Mag Publisher, and Bob Zales. I remember seeing Colecchio praising Bob Zales to the heavens recently. I find it interesting that someone like Karl Wickstrom who knows Colecchio very well personally does not endorse him. And if Colecchio admires Bob Zales so much, then why is he knocking the United We Fish rally in Washington? A rally where Bob Zales was one of the key speakers? Maybe it's payback for Zales endorsing Abele?

BTW - Colecchio's allegation that the United We Fish rally was mostly commercial guys is flat-out WRONG. I know several people who were there as rank & file and some who were organizers. Some say it was 50/50 recs & commercials. Others say it was 70/30 recs & commercials. Maybe Colecchio said what he said because he takes his marching orders from CCA? Both CCA and ASA were invited to participate in the rally and share in the spotlight. Yet both not only turned down the offer and went even further by pissing on the United We Fish rally by putting out negative press releases about the rally a few days before the rally. Not nice.

Maybe CCA, TBF and ASA are taking their anti-rec fishing stances lately because they're taking millions of Enviro dollars in funding funneled to them via the Teddy Roosevelt Conservation Coalition conduit? I'd say they've now passed beyond the threshold of conservation into the realm of Environmentalism.

I don't want aCCA stooge like Colecchio voting on GOM offshore fishing issues that directly affect my fishing.

Let CCA and Colecchio stay in their inshore sandbox where they do a good job and leave offshore issues to the grownups.

Mark/ Catch-All

·
Registered
39 Posts
Kim (3/25/2010)Gary we don't know each other but I 'll throw in my two cents worth anyway. Yours is a political appointment basically and as such the rules of politics come into play. Fancy rhetoric, stance on issues and promises really won't tell us what you are going to do if and when you get there. Your past in fishing is CFH and as such is more commercial than recreational. So my question is this, just tell me one specific thing that you will get through the council that will actually benefit recreational anglers. This would have to be something that excludes commercial and charter for hire interests.
The simple answer, Kim is that I'm going represent the positions I have talked about here. Those are the issues on the table andI'm going to vote consistantly with what I have told you here.

Let's talk about commercial fishing and excuse me but I will cut and paste from something I wrote this morning.

There are only two sectors of fisherman by definition.These two things are differentunder state and federal law, which is the exclusivecriteria.And there is a bright line distinction between them.

Commercial fishermenoperate under state licensure which enables them to sell fish.

Guides operate under recreational licensure which allows their customers who do not hold state recreational licenses to fish to participate in sportfishing. The identical recreational regulatory restrictions apply.

I hold the latter whichI don't need if my clients have their own. A fishing guide is an unregulated profession in the state ( it should be) the only requirement to obtain this license is a Coast Guard certificate of basic competence;the OUPV.

There is an effort by a a group of guys calling themselves Save Our Sector to change that. The Save Our Sector (SOS) initiative involvesa group ofCharter For Hire(CFH) operators who's leadership co-mingles both business models.Theyare receiving Environmental Defense Fund(ing) to further separate out and reduce recreational allotments (which should not even exist), because of their ability to hold dual recreational and commercial licenses. However they describe themselves in no uncertain terms as not being recreational fishermen.

And that's OK with me.

My solution to this "problem" is to make the licensure mutually exclusive. Business owners would have to choose the business they wish to participate in and would only be able to participate in one or the other. Too many conflicts and opportunities for misuse of the licensure exist with the current situation. Either you sell fish, or you don't.

I have no conflicts of interest. I restrict my chartering to clients I had 10 years ago and corporate clients. I do not accept new clients . There is no money in any of this for me. I do it for completely altruistic reasons. Just like my volunteer workas a Rotarian,Freemason, Palm Beach County Land Use Advisory Board and Local Planning AuthorityBoard Member, Palm Beach County Republican Executive Committeeman, and Reserve Police Officer and City Councilman with the Great Village of Royal Palm Beach.

Both professional organizations I am a member of support recreational fishing and therefore access. When that changes to support a mixed model as SOS and EDF is advancing , I will re-consider my affiliation with them.

Does that answer your question?

As far as me being a CCA "stooge", I would expect that if I was I would have their endorsement. If I did, my name would be the first on that list, instead of Dr. Abele. It's interesting that Mr.-Allis himselfin agreement with them.

Oh yeah, and here is what Karl Wickstrom reallyhas to say about me: "Dr. Larry Abele, an extremely well qualified candidate from FSU (despite his Seminolism) also would make an excellent appointment. It shouldn't be necessary to snipe at him while backing Gary. Both are excellent."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is an eye brow raiser and question raiser for you. Back in 2008 Gary Colecchio was nominated by Governor Crist for the Recreational seat on the Gulf Council. Martin Fisher was also nominated by Governor Crist for this same Recreational seat on the Gulf Council. In 2008 one of the recommenders for Martin Fisher was one of the original founders of the Florida Guides Association (FGA) who was also at one time President of the Florida Guides Association. Capt. Van Hubbard past founding member and past President of the FGA and current FGA member recommended Martin Fisher for the open Rec seat on the Gulf Council and Capt. Van Hubbard DID NOT RECOMMEND Gary Collecchio Southwest Director of the FGA for the open Rec seat on the Gulf Council in 2008. NOW WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU? THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES.

At that time in 2008 Capt. Mark Hubbard (not related to Capt.Van Hubbard) was one of the 4 recommenders that recommended Martin Fisher to the open Rec Seat on the Gulf Council and at that time Capt. Mark Hubbard DID NOT RECOMMEND Gary Colecchio for the open Rec seat on the Gulf Council. Capt. Mark Hubbard and family own and operate several charter boats all of which fish the Federal Zone under the perview of the Gulf Council. NOW WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU? THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES.

I am in the process of obtaining the Public Record to see who officially recommended who for the open "other" seat in 2010 on the Gulf Council. When I get the results I will let you know. Let's see just who recommended who for 2010.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"INSHORE FISHING WITH CAPT. WES."

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT CAPT. WES INSHORE FISHERMAN WITHOUT ANY FEDERAL CHARTER BOAT PERMITS. THE GULF COUNCIL REGULATES OFFSHORE WHERE IF YOU WANT TO RUN PAID CHARTERS YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE PROPER FEDERAL CHARTER BOAT PERMITS. YOU AND COLLECHIO ARE TWO PEAS IN A POD, BOTH INSHORE FISHERMEN WITHOUT THE REQUIRED FEDERAL PERMITS TO RUN PAID CHARTERS IN THE OFFSHORE FEDERAL ZONE.

·
Registered
807 Posts
mr james...i do not need to go to federal waters to catch my red snapper. i will say this every time you and your buddy who started this thread opens your mouths...you loose three or four more anglers. so why not just let it rest. if your man is sooooo good you should not be worried about capt gary!!!!!!

tight lines and great fishing adventures!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes, I missed this thread because I was in Germany but I think Capt Colecchio is the person we (as recreational fishermen) need for this appointment. His stance is known. He answers questions; his opponents views are VERY hard to find; his biggest opponent on this thread has a commercial interest; actually, that last one is enough.Go ahead; try to jamb him up on one of his points!

·
Registered
9 Posts
First off like I said the Gulf council regulates Federal Waters not state waters. Secondly, no where in any of my posts do I endorse anyone for the seat. But I will not endorse AND WILL DISENDORSE an INSHORE GUIDE LIKE COLECCHIO WHO DOES NOT HAVE THE PROPER FEDERAL PERMITS TO FISH THE VERY WATERS HE WANTS TO HAVE A SEAT TO REGULATE AND WHO CAN'T EVEN GET AN ENDORSEMENT IN 2008 FOR THE REC SEAT ON THE GULF COUNCIL FROM A PAST PRESIDENT OF THE FGA WHO WAS ONE OF THE ORIGINAL FOUNDING MEMBERS OF THE FGA AND LET'S NOT FORGET THAT COLECCHIO IS THE SOUTHWEST DIRECTOR OF THE FGA. THERE IS SOMETHING THAT THE PAST ORIGINAL FOUNDING MEMBER PRESIDENT OF THE FGA KNOWS THAT YOU DON'T KNOW.

Colecchio claims to be a fishing guide but never obtained the required Federal Permits to legally charter fish in the Federal zone in which he now wants to regulate.

An inshore guide without the proper Federal Permits to legally fish the Federal Zone has a conflict of interest with the offshore guides that actually took the time to fill out the Federal forms and get the proper Federal Permits to legally charter fish in the Federal Zone. No thank you we don't need that. This state has already got a dose of that BS from George Geiger inshore fishing guide on the east coast who was appointed to the SAFMC and proceeded to unfailry screw all of the offshore fishing guides on the east coast.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts