Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl19_lblFullMessage>Gov Crist's appointments office has come up with a list of four candidates for Florida's At-Large representative to the GMFMC Gulf Council, for consideration by the Secretary of Commerce and Director of NMFS. This list is on its way to the Sec Commerce as we speak.

Martin Fisher - a commercial guy who owns three boats. I did some checking around and I hear that he's a west coast version of Tony Iarocci. Tony is a commercial fisherman who is on the South Atlantic Council. If you look at his voting pattern, he has consistently voted no on regs that will hurt recreational fishermen. I've known Tony since 2001 and he's a good guy. If Martin Fisher is anything like Tony Iarocci, we can work with this guy to curtail the non-stop outpouring of harmful regs from the Gulf Council that are based on fiction. He is the #1 choice of the 100 Fathom Fishing Club.

Larry Abele - a scientist/ professor at FSU. He is the #1 choice of Bob Zales, a fellow PFF member that many of us know and respect. Some would say that as a scientist, Abelecoulddemolish the fictional "science" coming fromthe Gummint scientist careeristsworking forthe Gulf Council. He is the # 2 choice of the 100 Fathom Fishing Club.

Jerry Smalley -he admits he is an Enviro.100FFC doesn'twant him, period.

Colecchio - Folks, don't forget for one minute that this guy is desperate. He will say anything and do anything to get appointed by Gov Crist to the Gulf Council so that he can lord it over us peasants.

Let me ask you this - do you wantsomeone who is out of touch with offshore recreational fishermen's concernsto represent you on the Council? Do you want someone who is a meatpuppet dancing to the tune of the Florida Guides Association and the CCA to represent you? Both FGA and CCA do a great job with backbay inshore issues but both are out of touch with offshore issues. The RFA is the nationwide leader for offshore recreational fishermen's rights.Every time CCA gets involved with offshore issues, they invariably come out in favor of the Council amendment that will do the most harm to recreational fishermen. Do you want an out-of-touchguy who is a backbay, flyfishing, catch & release, flatsboat tarpon guide to represent your offshore bottomfishing & pelagic interests? . Not only that, butColecchio has adecade-long pattern of abusive, personal attacks against anyone who disagrees with him. We need someone on the Council who can work well with others andbe effective.Even if Colecchio was omniscient and all-knowing (which he is <U>not</U>), his toxic, abrasive personality guarantees that the other Council members will turn a deaf ear to him. 100FFC doesn't want him, period.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to see the right person selected for the Gulf Council, it's vital to contact the Secretary of Commerce, the Director of NMFS, the NMFSAssistant Administrator for Fisheries and the Florida Governor's Appointments Office. Here is the contact info you need to make your voice heard.

US Dept Commerce, Secretary Gary Locke, 1401 Consitution Ave NW, Washington DC 20230 fax 202-482-5685

cc:NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service, Director Jane Lubchenco, 1315 E. West Highway, Silver Spring, MD 20910

cc: NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service, Asst Administrator for Fisheries Eric Schwaab, 1315 E. West Hwy, Silver Spring, MD 20910

cc: Florida Governor's Appointments Office, Mavis Knight, Capitol Building, Room 705, Tallahassee, FL 32399-0001 [email protected]

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for getting involved. I hope I've given you enough information that you can make an informed decision and voice your opinion to the federal & state people I've listed above.

Thanks,

Mark, Catch-All - Pres., 100 Fathom Fishing Club </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
39 Posts
<P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">You seem to enjoy hearing yourself talk.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">For those of you who can make up your own minds, and think that a recreational fisherman would be a better representative than a commercial fisherman I would ask you to check out my references, history of advocacy and even google my name.<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Better yet, ask me what I think about the issues like catch shares, unjustified closures, data collection and sector separation. I'll be happy to honestly answer you. <o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">I like to measure my effectiveness and worth by the caliber of my adversaries. Unfortunately the above poster does little to bolster my ego. <P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">He is right. I'm sharp, trese,to the point and am not well known for pulling my punches or being politically correct.I shoot straight and true. So this sort of criticism does not bother me.As Chuck Yeager said, "You know you are over your target when you start taking flack."<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">I don't "want " this job. Just like you, I just want to fish. This is the third time though that I've been asked to fill a councilseat. So here I am.<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">This one was held for many yearsby Julie Morris. Julie is an academic and acted as more of a rubber stamp and advocate of NMFS staff positions and brought little to noindependent critical thinking to the seat. She did not vote often in our favor.<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">We have a chance to change the voting structure of the Council and bring fairness and science back to the process. I can't promise that you will get that with another academic like Abele, or a commercial guy like Martin Fisher. But I can assure you you'll get it with me.<o:p></o:p>

You are all very knowledgeable guys. You don't need to be told who to support. If you have met me or like what I have to say, send an email to your congressman.If you don't, well that only means that I've failed to get our collective recreational fishing message accross.

At the very least I've but myself out thereto try to make a difference. Seated or not, I'll call that a success.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
I read the post above,

Let us know where you stand on SOS and Catch Shares and all those items?

(Your words from above)

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'">Better yet, ask me what I think about the issues like catch shares, unjustified closures, data collection and sector separation. I'll be happy to honestly answer you. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
39 Posts
<P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Sure thing.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">First as a matter of background, I do not subscribe to entitling a small few to the majority of a resource that belongs to all the people of the United States. Catch shares allocates the greatest percentage of a undefinable total quantity of fish to commercial fisherman, who have traditionally fought to diminish that of recreational fisherman. <o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Catch share works for a well regulated industry where fish are a commodity. Fortunately we as recreational fisherman do not sell fish and cannot be regulated on the water or at the dock, because we do not trade in fish.<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">The problem is that Magnuson-Steven was never intended to regulate guys like you and me. We were dragged into this by commercial interests who were concerned that we were affecting their profits. It is the fault of our previous representatives that this was allowed to go on to the point where we are now; inextricably involved in it.<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">We need a mechanism to opt out and not be treated like or compared to commercial fishermen.<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Applying catch share regulations and methodology to us even in the guise of better data collection places us in a worse position than we are. It is fundamentally inappropriate and must be opposed at all costs. <o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">And that is our challenge. Ms. Lubchenco served as vice chair of the board of trustees of Environmental Defense Fund prior to her appointment to NOAA, where she was a key architect of the catch share philosophy. She is literally invested in it as we have seen in her diverting her agencies cooperative research funds to her catch share program. <o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">So we are faced with a regulatory agency lead by a true believer in socially re-engineering our behavior by restructuring fisheries into a marketable commodity, a fishy equivalent of cap and trade and we are caught in the middle of it. <o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Be certain, we will have no friends in the commercial sector when it comes to divesting ourselves of it. <o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
39 Posts
<P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">The Save Our Sector initiative is just an extension of the above. It is lead by Charter-for-hire (CFH) guys who hold dual licensure.That is to say they fish under commercial and recreational licensure. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">This co-mingling of incompatible business methods by a comparatively very small group of operators is being directly fundedby EnvironmentalDefense Fund to attack and redistribute the minority held recreational allocation.<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">All this with the goal of market domination by a few commercial fishermen. Again with us being marginalized and at our expense. <o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">There is no benefit by sector separation to recreational fishermen or charter boat operators at all. Florida GuidesAssociation does not support it nor does NACO.<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">We already have sector separation; commercial and recreational.<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">My view of sector separation expands upon what we currently have in place. Businesses would be prohibited from holding both recreational and commercial permits. Either you are a commercial fisherman and make a living selling fish , or you are a recreational guide and sell fishing. <o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here's a Colecchio quote that Telum Pisces dug up from the FS Conservation forum:

"I say again, as I said on the thread about grouper. I am a fly fisherman. I have no first hand knowledge about the state of the grouper fishery. But I have confidence in the guys I know who do to accurately present it to the Gulf Council. " (hat tip to Telum Pisces)

Guys, do you really want an unknowledgable, out of touch backbay catch & release guy to represent us <U>offshore</U> pelagic & bottomfishing rec fishermen?

I can just imagine Colecchio foaming at the mouth and bitching if a hardcore deepdropper who never touched a fly rod in his life tried to join some FWC committee thatoversaw inshore/backbay snook, redfish, tarpon, whatever. It's the same thing.

Catch

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Gary S. Colecchio (3/17/2010)<P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">The Save Our Sector initiative is just an extension of the above. It is lead by Charter-for-hire (CFH) guys who hold dual licensure.That is to say they fish under commercial and recreational licensure. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">This co-mingling of incompatible business methods by a comparatively very small group of operators is being directly fundedby EnvironmentalDefense Fund to attack and redistribute the minority held recreational allocation.<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">All this with the goal of market domination by a few commercial fishermen. Again with us being marginalized and at our expense. <o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">There is no benefit by sector separation to recreational fishermen or charter boat operators at all. Florida GuidesAssociation does not support it nor does NACO.<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">We already have sector separation; commercial and recreational.<o:p></o:p><P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">My view of sector separation expands upon what we currently have in place. Businesses would be prohibited from holding both recreational and commercial permits. Either you are a commercial fisherman and make a living selling fish , or you are a recreational guide and sell fishing. <o:p></o:p>
<P style="BACKGROUND: white">Gary...honestly....did you copy and paste that ????<P style="BACKGROUND: white">tell the truth!

·
Registered
39 Posts
No, I just wrote that. It took me about twenty minutes. Although I've said various versions of itall before.

Guys, do you really want an unknowledgable, out of touch backbay catch & release guy to represent us <U>offshore</U> pelagic & bottomfishing rec fishermen?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks.

Bonita on fly is the catsass. That was behind a shrimp boatin about 10 fathoms.

That AJ was on a wreck and kickedmyass. That was on a20# Biscayne "Billy Baroo".

I have some photos of me with sometiny red grouperswhich Florida sportsman thought was funny enough to embarass me by putting on the front page.I also did a FSTV show on grouper fishing out of Homosassa, which was so pitiful it never aired. I was the only one who caught fish. and I'm not well known for my bottom fishingprowess.

·
Praedator
9,917 Posts
Gary,

Please tell us what you think of spearfishing. And I mean any species that is legal to shoot. Do you feel that spearfishing should be treated different than hook and line? What is your take on the selective nature of spearfishing? (no bycatch) Is that a good thing or a bad thing in your eyes?

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Forone I appreciateCapt Colecchio making himself available here for questions. Great opportunity to read and understand the views of a potential council member.

- Far as I knowLarry Abele doesn't understand anything about the complex regulatory rubric that has resulted in the current state of affairs in the gulf fishery. Bobb Shipp is a well known professor / biologist. One academic type on the council is more than enough in my opinion.

- Jerry Smalley= Enviro.

- MartinFisher= a commercial guy

I like Capt Colecchio's position on recreational sector separation a lot - so for me choice on who to support is easy as a recreational fisherman.

Mark W

1 - 20 of 49 Posts