Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My project boat (1985 Silverton Convertible) came with two 454 engines, both had been removed from the boat and one had been rebuilt by the previous owner. I am in the process of rebuilding the other one but have run into a snag. I have the engine completely disassembled and have searched everywhere that I can think of to locate a serial number but with no luck.I understand that on some later models the serial number was on a decal affixed to the oil pan. If this was the case, then it is long gone. The casting number on the block (10237297) indicates that it would be a 1996 and later Vortec 7400 based on at least one source and based on another it could be a Gen V, and still another indicates Gen VI. The block has a 1999 casting date which would put it within the Gen VI time frame and it has a 1-piece rear seal.

I consider myself to be pretty mecanically inclined but I am not an "engine guy", so all of the above is base strictly on various literature sources that I have consulted. In trying to order rebuild parts andneed to know if it is a Gen V or Gen VI but I am not sure if there is a sure-fire way to tell.

Any advice??

Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
266 Posts
does it have fuel pump boss? also does it have a clutch ball boss above the oil filter location. if it have both it is a gen VI, if it has just the clutch ball boss it could both gen V or gen VI Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,:bowdown

When I go home at lunch I'll check for these indications.

I knew someone(s) on the forumwould know.:letsdrink

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
also look at the Sea water pump pulley,, the gen V is a v belt, and the Gen VI is a serpentine belt,, they also have a different intake manifold,,on them,,

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sequoiha (2/15/2010)also look at the Sea water pump pulley,, the gen V is a v belt, and the Gen VI is a serpentine belt,, they also have a different intake manifold,,on them,,
Well, now I am a little confused again. When I looked at the block at lunch it has "MK VI" cast into the front to the left of the cam shaft opening so I was pretty confident that it was a Gen VI. But it also has a double V-belt pulley system. It does not have an opening for a mechanical fuel pump.

I think I am going to go with it being a Gen VI based on the preponderance of evidence pointing in that direction.

Thanks for ya'lls help.

Alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts