Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out the week of August 21st to try and get on some AJ, Mingos, and whatever else wants to play.

Really pumped about putting my buddy on some AJ since he has never caught them before....I have warned him that he may want no part of it after catching a couple!

That being said....how far out do you typically find the "keeper" size fish? I'm sure there are some caught closer to shore but how far off would you start if trying to target 34" AJs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have a spot about 20 miles that all you catch are good keeper size and and stud triggers. Just depends on your spot tho but I wouldn’t really try in anything less than 130-150 ft of water that’s just me

·
Super Moderator
28,282 Posts
Im a state water guide, meaning I can only reef fish out to 9mn miles. We catch keepers every day we try. My biggest came off the Tex at nearly 45lbs. They are there, they are just SMART.

I reckon I need to start following you when I get the new sled out there!!!:shifty::whistling::D:thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im a state water guide, meaning I can only reef fish out to 9mn miles. We catch keepers every day we try. My biggest came off the Tex at nearly 45lbs. They are there, they are just SMART.

Thanks for the feedback guys!! We're pretty pumped to give it a try, full moon and all. Always love seeing someone catch their first AJ.

What about the beeliners? I've never caught them but it looks like when you find them they are thick. Any tips?

We will have rigs for everything from trolling to deep dropping, heavy and light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For b-liners we use a chicken rig with small hooks and small pieces of squid. We normally won’t fish for them in water any shallower Than 180 but you can find them in shallower. Fish the edge and places around there. We tend to find the bigger ones off the bottom anywhere from 10-30ft off the bottom. Best way to find the big ones is to drop and stop your bait high up in the water column and work your way down.

·
Banned
161 Posts
I noticed an increase in mingo size and quality by ditching the chicken rigs FWIW. Granted out deeper where the fish are less educated it may be different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts