Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
the cheapest handheld phone is $750 and the cheapest fixed mount is $2600.

GS has also had numeous coverage/connection problems in recent history. I've never owned one but know a few who have who got rid of them because of poor service.

If you dig a little deeper into the GS site, you'll find this disclaimer....

Globalstar is the only mobile satellite operator currently launching spare satellites for its existing network. Globalstar has also contracted for a new second-generation satellite constellation, which the company <U>anticipates taking delivery of beginning in the summer of 2009.</U> With the launch of eight spare satellites in 2007, along with the existing satellite network, Globalstar will continue to provide and support services through the launch of the second-generation constellation.

Two-Way Voice and Duplex Data Services - Advisory

<U>Until the transition to the second-generation constellation, Globalstar two-way voice and duplex data satellite services will not be operating at optimal or peak efficiency.</U> <U>Customers may experience difficulty connecting or sustaining longer calls at certain times in certain specific locations. </U><UL><LI>In order to most effectively manage two-way voice and duplex data access, Globalstar offers an optimum satellite availability tool, which predicts when a satellite will be overhead at any specific geographic area. </LI>[/list]

Simplex Data and Asset Tracking Services ? Fully Operational

The Globalstar constellation of 40 operational satellites is completely stable and fully operational in supporting Globalstar Simplex data satellite products and asset tracking services. Recent monitoring tests indicate that the Simplex data network is currently operating at a successful transmission rate of greater than 99 percent. And because Globalstar's Simplex data products are designed to work with the second-generation satellite constellation, they are expected to provide customer's with years of high quality reliable service well into the next decade and beyond.

·
Praedator
10,010 Posts
If anyone wants some info on satellite phones. Let me know. It's what I do for a living. Iridium is the way to go if you want pole to pole reliable service. It's expensive though.

$750 for a phone is cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts