Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone build a boat using Glen-L plans? I'm in the initial planning phase of building an aluminum Glen-L "River Rat". When I say initial planning phase I mean from the start! All I've done to this point is order the plans and review them. I've got a LONG way to go. I've got to find a good welding machine to purchase that can do the job (thinking a >/=200amp Tig machine with an aluminum wire spool gun) and a good source for the material. Then... I've got to brush up on my aluminum welding technique. I haven't Tig welded aluminum in about 16 years and I've never mig welded it. I've also got to get my Jeep sold... I'm planning on doing this project in my garage and to have the room I need it sold.

If anyone has had experience with the Glen-L plans, knows of a decent aluminum welding machine for sale, or could que me in on a good supplier for my supplies in or around the destin-freeport area I'd love to hear from you. Or if you know someone looking for a bad @$$ jeep :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
I've been where your at and have bought plans from them also.

Let me say this.... I Like the build!

BUT! You will spend a Hell'va lot more money building a boat, than buying a boat.

Why? Because you have to buy every single piece and we know what marine prices are.

The next thing is selling it..... It's a homebuilt.....No one will pay a premium price for your hard work. In fact you will loose your Ass.

It's just the way it is. Fair warning.

If you still want to do it......

T&C Metals
100 W Herman St
Pensacola, FL 32505
850-438-8280

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks X. I spent a lot of time considering those points. I almost decided to purchase an older aluminum boat and just spend the time and effort that would have gone into building from mold up on customizing it. I never found one I wanted to work with.

Sense then I've had kids (Twin boy/girl) and thought how cool it would be to get them involved in building one. Many lessons to be learned with that project (for both them and me), and having those memories associated with a final product like a very cool, totally customized boat to pass down to them is worth it to me.

Thanks for the source.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts