Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
' Edited '

Okay, thinking of putting a inlet tube just forward of the middle of the boat, so as I am running, water will be forced up and into the livewell.
Maybe a drain tube going thru the hull from within the livewell for easy draining at ramp.
So, any thoughts on this?
Mainly about putting the intake/fill hole thru the hull forward of the livewell for the water inlet.
Or should I go to the side and use a bilge to pump it in?
Thoughts?
How would you build it if you were doing it?

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, it's hard to believe no one has any thoughts or ideas on this?
I guess I can be the guinea pig and find out if it works as thought out.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
You don't need it in front of the Livewell. You use a scoop intake. Just the forward motion will ram water into the livewell. But you need a pump when your anchored or drifting. Otherwise.....Your baits will die.

The scoop can be thru the hull [Cleaner] or it can attach to the transom with a hose over the transom.

If you want to know more about this.....Come see me.....It's way to much to talk about on the phone.

I can show you how to build a custom size Livewell also.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
I put a garbage can on transom with a forward looking scoop on stern. Like Bobby said, the bait dies when water changes temperature and oxygen is gone. From then on I used a line on bucket to keep fresh water in shit can and bait alive. Now I would just use a seperate pump with an overflow a few inches?from the top of well. I only dive now. My example was in 67. Cheap and easy to make. Not very good to look at just like my present boat I keep junk in the built in live well.

Reactions: CurDog

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah Ron idk, my boat is a 14' Lee boat. But it's my bad, when I 1st posted, it had all the pertinent info, but the post was a bit loong, so I decided to shorten it and forgot to leave the boat length.
But I have seen a boat or two back in the mid-80's out in the gulf using the garbage can strapped to the dive platform.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't need it in front of the Livewell. You use a scoop intake. Just the forward motion will ram water into the livewell. But you need a pump when your anchored or drifting. Otherwise.....Your baits will die.
The scoop can be thru the hull [Cleaner] or it can attach to the transom with a hose over the transom.
If you want to know more about this.....Come see me.....It's way to much to talk about on the phone.
I can show you how to build a custom size Livewell also.
I'll research the scoop, send you a pm in a bit. Thanks

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
In my previous boat, I had a built-in 12v aerator pump for the live well and I used the speedometer Peto tube pick up from the outboard motor to replenish the water whenever I was moving…… I never lost any pinfish with that set up…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
14' Lee boat.
I had forgot we were talking about that small of a boat.

MOST small boats that size have a little well in the back. Thats were water that gets on the deck runs to.
In that is where the hull drain plug goes. It's where a bilge pump would go......And where you would install a scoop and livewell pump....Note that IF you do not put a shutoff valve.....Normally a Seacock on that scoop....Everytime the boat moves forward under power, it will fill the livewell. There are times you don't want to use the livewell....Then you shut the valve.

But instead of a scoop...Most small boats...In that well again. Use a thru the transom livewell pump.
The problem is there is no scoop and with the boat at speed and the pump running, it can just suck air.
Thats bad for baits. I have seen where a small PVC angled fitting was adpted to a thru the transom unit to act as a scoop.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought about using 2 scoops. One scoop facing toward the bow, to bring water into livewell, the other facing toward the stern for water drain.
As I run the motor, water will fill the livewell and the other will drain it out, so I'd have a continuous water flow without using a aerator or bilge pump.
Yes, I know I'll need a aerator/recirculation pump once I stop forward motion, and I'd need to play with the diameter of the drain tube to keep an x-amount of water level in the livewell while running and then after stopping.

Thinking on using a 1/2" inlet scoop, and either a 3/4" or 1" outlet scoop. Fairly sure there'd be more water coming in than would be draining if both tubes are 1/2". Thinking the 1" drain tube would be the ticket, but maybe a 1.25" would be the best choice? Anyone know?
The drain tube will be about 8" high inside the livewell before the water can start to drain.

Any thoughts on this ^^^ using 2 scoops ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts