Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it legal to gig a red or other type of game fish while wading with lights for flounder? The opportunity has arose on multiple occasions and was curious if it is ok to gig a red on a dock or something like that.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
not sure about alabama regs, but in florida illegal to gig a trout or red. but you can gig a sheepshead and or mullet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Terry is right. Same for both. Also, if you are commercial, and you have over the recreational limit of flounder, you are not allowed to have any game fish (Reds and/or Specs) on board. Period. I know this from experience. Had 10 flounder and one red fish on board, got checked, and was told that if I had one more flounder, I would have gotten a big ticket. I read the rules over and over. they are kinda confusing. Alabama: you CAN gig crabs, as long as they are 5 inches.

·
VIP of the PFF
8,491 Posts
Terry is right. Same for both. Also, if you are commercial, and you have over the recreational limit of flounder, you are not allowed to have any game fish (Reds and/or Specs) on board. Period. I know this from experience. Had 10 flounder and one red fish on board, got checked, and was told that if I had one more flounder, I would have gotten a big ticket. I read the rules over and over. they are kinda confusing. Alabama: you CAN gig crabs, as long as they are 5 inches.
Can we gig crabs in alabama , I didn't think we could any more.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Put a crab net on the other end of your gigg pole and you are set. The chicken wire nets is what i've used and works great.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I asked Montgomery. You can gig a legal crab. I got a return call, and saved it as voice mail. Im like terry, I will dip them up. People that go with me sometimes want to stab one. So I checked.

·
Banned
518 Posts
Never done it, attempted it or succeeded at it! Why are you badgering me? Whoever told you I have is a liar! If only my little boat had and BGE on it too!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Never done it, attempted it or succeeded at it! Why are you badgering me? Whoever told you I have is a liar! If only my little boat had and BGE on it too!
Whoa Bobby, you've been working on that boat way too many hours. This makes absolutely no sense or did I miss something.:confused1:

·
Banned
518 Posts
Whoa Bobby, you've been working on that boat way too many hours. This makes absolutely no sense or did I miss something.:confused1:
Not saying I ever have because its highly illegal but on my big boats I have Big Green Eggs that are capable of cooking a fish that is out of season. So if I had one on my flounder skiff I could potentially eat a fish that was taken illegally with a gig.

And yes I have been work on that boat too long. Jan 28 full time with ZERO days off!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Not saying I ever have because its highly illegal but on my big boats I have Big Green Eggs that are capable of cooking a fish that is out of season. So if I had one on my flounder skiff I could potentially eat a fish that was taken illegally with a gig.

And yes I have been work on that boat too long. Jan 28 full time with ZERO days off!
Wait weren't you at the IP this weekend ;)

·
Registered
806 Posts
in fla thats the case to but when commercial trout season is open u can gig flounder and hook and line fish trout as far as i know

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can also gig a grouper if you find one hiding in the grass. Just make sure its in season and legal length. Not on the do not stick list. Checked with FWC and they said yes,,just didnt want me to put banners out.

·
Registered
812 Posts
You can also gig a grouper if you find one hiding in the grass. Just make sure its in season and legal length. Not on the do not stick list. Checked with FWC and they said yes,,just didnt want me to put banners out.

How many times have you seen one in the grass?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Gigging Crabs

Gigged some crabs years ago...which kills them. Boiled them and meat was like mush...place I buy shrimp from told me when they die...chemical deal breaks meat down RAPIDLY...just my 2 cents.:yes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts