Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody gig from a kayak,if so what kind of light sys. Do you recommend. I have a flat bottom stauterbuilt but it's getting rebuilt. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Are you goona sit or stand? You need the height for better visibility.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Greg, I stand and use the gigg to keep her steady. I see you have a malibu as well and mine is the X-factor. Very wide and stable. Only taken one bath.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Greg, I stand and use the gigg to keep her steady. I see you have a malibu as well and mine is the X-factor. Very wide and stable. Only taken one bath.
I was able to go a few times for a couple of hours after I got my lights set up. Water was so murky because of all the rain we had last fall, but when it cleared up I could see pretty good. I was also standing up using the gig to pole, but my 61 year old knees are a little shakey. Anyway I'm looking forward to next season and am checking out some promising spots while I'm out hunting reds and specs.

Greg

·
Registered
791 Posts
Greg, know what you mean with the knees. I'm 59 and it's hard on me too. Your light set-up looks great and no reason you should not be able to find them. I used mine mostly in the back bayous and did pretty well. I tried it at Orange Beach and found out real quick that I needed the hp of the boat. Caught with the tide going out one night and thought I was going to end up in Cuba. Paddling as hard as I could and going backward.Finally got close enough to a dock to hang on till it quit ripping.Really enjoy floundering out of the yak and it ws nothing to pole. Your light set-up is by far more than I was using. I was running two aquastar 100 watt lights and your coverage will be alot better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts