Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From yahoo -

TOKYO ? A <SPAN class=yshortcuts id=lw_1262690931_0 style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none">giant bluefin tuna fetched 16.3 million yen ($177,000) in an auction Tuesday at the world's largest wholesale fish market in <SPAN class=yshortcuts id=lw_1262690931_1 style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none">Japan.

The 513-pound (233-kilogram) fish was the priciest since 2001 when a 440-pound (200 kilogram) tuna sold for a record 20.2 million yen ($220,000) at <SPAN class=yshortcuts id=lw_1262690931_2 style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none">Tokyo's Tsukiji market.

The gargantuan tuna was bought and shared by the owners of two <SPAN class=yshortcuts id=lw_1262690931_3 style="BACKGROUND: #dceeff; CURSOR: hand; COLOR: #000; BORDER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed">Japanese sushi restaurants and one Hong Kong-based sushi establishment, said a market representative on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to disclose the information.

Caught off the coast of northern Japan, the big tuna was among 570 put up for auction Tuesday. About 40 percent of the auctioned fish came from abroad, including from Indonesia and Mexico, the representative said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100105/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_giant_tuna_sold

·
Praedator
9,927 Posts
The Blue Hoo (1/5/2010)Like minds...

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Topic496076-3-1.aspx

I can't help but wonder what they turn around and sell the toro for. I'm sure badazzchef can break it down into portioning; I don't feel like doing the math right now
If all of that weight was meat (which it isn't) that is $21.56 per ounce of fish at wholesale price. Who knows how much it costs the customer at the table.:doh

4,058 Posts
Telum Pisces (1/5/2010)If all of that weight was meat (which it isn't) that is $21.56 per ounce of fish at wholesale price. Who knows how much it costs the customer at the table.:doh
That's what the crazy thing is. General restaurant markup on food is 300%. So if that holds true, then the japs are paying $64.68 an ounce for bluefin sushi! Outrageous!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Imagine what the bill would be after a good night of some sushi made from it. You'd have to be rich to order an entree of it for the whole family. Wonder what makes it so special? Can't be Starkist, gotta have something to do with the size of it and the flavor it builds from the oils and blood maybe.

Chris

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
If it was that expensive here I would probably just have to wonder and dream what sushi tastes like.

4,058 Posts
Shiznik (1/5/2010)I Wonder what makes it so special? Can't be Starkist, gotta have something to do with the size of it and the flavor it builds from the oils and blood maybe.
Chris, of course everyone's palette is different, so what might taste delightful to one might not appeal to another, but bluefin is absolutely amazing. I don't know how the guys overseas prepare it, but badazzchef on the forum here taught me to sear it (seasonings confidential) and slice it paper thin. It truly just makes you happy; the taste is that incredible. But yes, the flesh is VERY oily due to the high fat content; which almost seems ironic considering they have to constantly be moving at a rate of close to 4 feet per second just to survive, unlike a grouper or snapper which can suspend in the water. Tunas are what they calls "obligate ram ventilators," which means they have to constantly be moving forward to keep oxygen flowing over their gills. That being said, you would think a fish that burns so many calories wouldn't have a high fat content! Anyways, if you ever get the chance to have seared bluefin, don't pass it up. The meat is a beautiful blood red color.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Sounds like you got the hookup on the seasonings. I've had the other species of Tuna, but I can imagine how good it tastes. My wife mostly won't eat raw Tuna if we are ever at a sushi restuarant. I love it seared! Yeah, but that stuff is outta our league. Got me wanting some fish for dinner now..

Chris

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yall got to remember that tuna is on the hoof! So it is even more expensive when you get a final yield...since it has probably been headed and gutted you could exect an 80% yield or so on that 500+ lb carcass...so you need to adjust accordingly....it is rediculous how much that is...BTW if anyone wants some real Bluefin I can get it for 32 bucks a lb!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can't see how the math would work out to make a profit that way, but I do know for sure that its about the same price as over here. I've eaten it at many different restaurants over there and it comes with half the meals you get. I don't know if it was bluefin or not, never saw it specified as to what kind of tuna it was. It sure does taste better than over here though.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If I remember correctly, everything is more expensive there. A coke is like $3 bucks, gas is $10 bucks a litre,and a bottle of air is like $50. !!! :doh

4,058 Posts
Dplantmann (1/5/2010)Maybe being warm blooded has something to do with the taste?
Doubtful. All tunas are warm-blooded. But the difference in a big eye filet, yellowfin filet, and a bluefin filet are all night and day. Like, the untrained taste buds could identify three different species.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I guess I?m just a StarKist kind of guy!<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">

·
Registered
148 Posts
You should talk to the sushi chefs--they can let you taste thedifference. I have sampled several tunas at my favorite place in p'cola--Sake Cafe on 9th. They will let you try different varieties, but most of the stuff you get in local restaurants is frozen yellowfin--not fresh bluefin. Big, big difference in price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts