Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
WOW thats a sea monster. How long was the LJFL? Had to take 4 hours on conventional cranking to get to gaff range! Congratulations.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Good grief!!! That’s a monster!!! Did you get a length by chance? Gotta be well over 300.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
WOW thats a sea monster. How long was the LJFL? Had to take 4 hours on conventional cranking to get to gaff range! Congratulations.
maybe four or more. adam sent me the vid with terry cranking after 2 hrs.
awesome fish.
but adam is a fish magnet. he knows where the fish are.
good to see you again terry. i assume you did all the cranking:whistling:
CONGRATULATIONS AND HATS OFF TO TERRY AND ADAM.:thumbup:

jack

·
Super Moderator
28,282 Posts
Breath taking...literally!!!! What a fricken achievement!!!! CONGRATS!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here's what happened...

70 miles out, 2200' deep, fish was hooked at 1800'. 3rd drop of the day, 11:30am
She was 140" long from tip to tip, 49" girth, 89" from lower jaw to fork, impossible to weigh, but I can tell you this, I am 6'1" 200lbs, and she dwarfed me, she was easily 400+lbs.

Once hooked, there was no moving her up the water column, she easily swam wherever she wanted, after the first hour, she swam straight up to the boat and did tight circles maybe 6' under the surface trying to hook the line in the props, motors were off and trimmed up, This was the MOST amazing sight, she looked HUGE and you could tell she was just sizing us up and trying to figure this out. We knew with no harpoon on board, she would have to give out and it was going to be a long fight.

Then she went straight down over 1000', the reel was so hot, you could not touch the spool, Adam kept pouring on ice water. Hours 2 and 3 go by, she comes back up to the surface about 300' in front of the boat, I stick the rod in the front holder, tighten the drag slightly, it's time to wear her out, she begins to pull my 8,000lb boat at 3mph for over 20 minutes! I told Adam to put a line out the back and let's troll while she towing us;) UNBELIEVABLE strength.

.Then she dies and begins to sink, at that point it was lift a foot at a time till she finally came boat side, belly up.
then the real work began for Adam and I, getting her in the boat thru the undersized tuna door, pull and take a break, repeat, we were exhausted.

Fish of a lifetime, felt like Old Man In The Sea:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts