Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my 14 year old son son a 13 foot gheenoe for Christmas. we will be buying a 5 hp 4 stroke shortly for it.

any thoughts on gheenoe's never had one before!!

we will be tearin up the specks and reds at the river mouths soon. hopefully a little freshwater too like hurricane lake,bear lake,escambia,yellow and lake stone....

they grow up too fast...

tight lines guys!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a high school principal in ft walton.

not sure what school he works at.

came with a trailer and a minn kota 36ib thrust

·
Registered
289 Posts
Gheenoes are awesome. Had one as a kid. Incredibly stable for a boat that looks like a canoe.

I had an old Johnson 4 horse on mine. They have the speed and agility of a canoe and the

stability of a johnboat. Your kid will love it if you don't hog it all the time :letsdrink

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought one this summer and love it. I Have a 1995 5hp merc 2 stroke on it and it moves it along pretty good. It takes me about18 minutes to drive from destin across the bay to Eglin AFB on a nice day. You definitly needsomeone sitting up front, the lighter of the two of you, to get it to plane out good. Idon't go much by myself because it takes so long to get anywhere.I put a fishfinder onmine and it works really good. They are unbelievably stable. My buddy and I switch out driving all the time so I can get up front and stand up and throw the cast net. Never once tipped it over (Knock on wood). I have a couple more things i would like to do to it, but I am happy for now. I would love to get a big boat, but it will be a long time before I get rid of this one, maybe never. Good luck to you.

4,058 Posts
my roommate's got one...it is badass. so versatile. we use it up and down ono fishin for specks and reds. also use it for duckhunting. he even pulls it with his diesel powered jetta!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I love them they are amazing boats. Dont be afraid to put extra horsepower on there. The 13 is only rated for five but I have seen as much as 15 on there and it works with no problems. I have a 9.9 and wish I had a 15! Most two strokes weighthe same.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I used one floundering before. Very stable. I was looking between a gheenoe or a john boat here recently and decided for a john boat because it has more room. That's my one complaint with the gheenoe is the lack of room. And I'm mainly talking about how many people you can take on it and being able to have my kid sit right beside me while fishing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Awesome little boat!! He will love it. I have put my 13' in the bay, river, and lakes with no problem. Travels great with either a paddle, trolling motor, or gas powered. Enjoy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts