Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Most likely sharks. Have caught big cobia off the bottom a time or 2 that were surprises tho. Also heard of a random big king caught off the bottom.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Depending on tackle and how much line it took, could've been many things.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just red snapper tackle, big spinner or a 330 gti, sometimes a PENN 4/0

What kind of shark? Most we catch (blacktip) tend to come up instead of running

·
Super Moderator
28,516 Posts
You might even get flipper if it's really quick. Something that runs no fast and you can't turn probably a shark. But heck you could have hooked a number of things that would spool ya....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flipper is what I was thinking. It’s probably best to palm the reel and let it break off like you would pulling on a snagged line

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ve had this happen to me a couple times too. The last time though, it hit my bait like a sledge hammer and took off. I just happened to be using a big 4/0 Penn and tried to turn it around for about 250 yards. When I couldn’t even slow it down, I figured I had a pretty pissed off shark on the line.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
When I fish the water column with a big live bait, the spooler nails it hard and breaks off in less then a minute, hook (circle hook) is gone and line is scared up 7 feet in. I’ve fished a 10” ground mullet in the column and have never caught what ever ate him. Pretty much same thing happens when bottom fishing except it can happen with a smaller dead bait. The whole reel spooler fish is more uncommon, that just happens a one or two times per the whole season, and maybe not at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ve had this happen to me a couple times too. The last time though, it hit my bait like a sledge hammer and took off. I just happened to be using a big 4/0 Penn and tried to turn it around for about 250 yards. When I couldn’t even slow it down, I figured I had a pretty pissed off shark on the line.

Was fishing a platform in 100’ of water and something hit my bait and took off, penn 4/0 was down to the spool, I stopped him, was using a boat rod (that thing was a pool stick) ended up putting it in the rod holder and the fish near bout pulled my 21’ boat off the gas platform, then it turned and run straight at me, could not keep up with it reeling-in, fish went to my right, straight thru the rig, line got taunt, and of course snapped off. It was a sight to see, the other boats around were like me, just looking at how hard my rod was being bent in the holder, he pulled for at least a minute or two before turning.

·
Registered
81 Posts
we fished the destin bridge rubble just outside the pass a few weeks ago and something similar happened. big live hardtail about 100' behind the boat on the surface with a wire leader. we were chumming hoping to catch some friends a big king. we got hit, and the rod started screaming 90* from the boat. it never slowed down, never turned its head, and took 400 yards of line off my Avet at 35lbs drag before i had to palm the line and break it. we were on the hook and didnt have enough time to pull the anchor before we ran out of line.

assumed it was flipper. we've whipped big AJ's on these setups and giant sharks like nothing, but who knows.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts