Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so for the last 2 months, i have not gone to bed with out falling asleep thinking about what boat im going to get. i have looked at a bunch of boats, and i must say that Sea Hunt pretty much has what i want. but for some reason i am still doing research and have found that yamaha motors arent what they are hyped up to be. i looked at JDpower and they were ranked fourth and fifth. what is the deal? its a perfectly capable 4 stroke with a super easy rinse system. is there something i dont know? if anyone out there knows a bunch or even more than i do, about boats and what is the best bang formy buck, let me know. here's what im looking at...

20-22 (maybe 23)foot, 150-200hp center console t-top that won't bust my payroll. preferably new for the warranty.

Thanks!

·
Registered
724 Posts
in that range i would consider a dusky 203. your choice of motors and boat layout. special order only at the factory in dania beach about 10 minutes south of ft lauderdale. i visited their facility and was impressed. prices are lower reflecting no middle man. lot of boat for the money

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nothing wrong w yamaha 4 strokes, they had some issues w the hpdi a while back, but the fours are pretty bullet proof as far as 4 strokes go. on a boat that size ,if you can afford it, get the 250 as it has all the latest varriable valve stuff and has better mid range power and is a true "250" not to start the whole 2 stroke vs four and brand wars, most of what is out there is pretty good especially in the 4 strokes, so it would be more of who has the best deal, and what dealer gives you the best service. as far as hulls too many good brands to mention, you just have to climb over alot of boats and see what layout you like. if you can actually narrow down your search to a particular model, the used market right now can give you alot of bang for the buck as with the housing and credit crunch some people have to let some of the toys go. alot of the mfg have warranties that are transferable/extended so you can find a 2 yr old boat that may still have 1-4 years of warranty on it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I see a lot of the inshore charters run 4 stroke yamahas for whatever that is worth. I have never owned a yamaha but purchased a mercury optimax in Spring 2006 and have been very pleased. Very dependable and a quite running motor. Might be worth a look if you are still undecided.

·
Registered
782 Posts
allen, you didn't really say what type of fishing you would be doing. there are hundreds of lines out there and over 30 different brands in our area. this is a decision you will have to live with for a while. i would take my time and ride in all the different ones i could. as for the engines, i think yamaha is a fine engine 4 stroke or 2 stroke. there is also alot of good being said about e-tecs as well as suzuki 4 stroke. if you are buying new, your engine will probably depend on what that dealer will be pushing the hardest. i have a yamaha hpdi with all the updates and have had no problems, knock on wood! i do wish i had spoke to some blazer bay owners before i bought my boat, then i would have sorta expected all the screws on the boat backing outevery time you run it. other than that i love it. there is alot of little things we don't think about when we are looking. pay attention to detail and good luck with your purchase.

don't be afraid to go big on horse power. alot of time it will actually save your fuel economy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have to tell you that Yamaha 4 strokes are bulletproof.. I've owned 4 in the past 5 years.. one F150 on a Seahunt 22 that I put 590 hrs on with no problems. 1 F225 on my Edgewater that I put 1000 hrs on with No Problems, and now 2 F150 on our Glacier Bay that each have 400 hrs with NO PROBLEMS. That combined isabout 2500 hrs without so much as a hiccup! I run my motors hard and usually at least 500 hrs a year.. i have taken my single engine boats 60 miles offshore.. if that doesnt speak to their reliability i dont know what would. Good luck to you on your decision.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
This is a tough question because you are going to get so many mixed answers - some are going toLOVE them, some are going tospit onthem . . Our Yamahas (past and present) were very reliable, easy to clean, easy to take care of, trouble-free, and I would not have chosen any other motors for our Sea Hunts (both past and present).

·
Registered
130 Posts
def. go with a yami 4 stroke.

i have a 115 on my 21' carolina skiff and all i have to say is WOW

that is the best enging i have ever owned!

runs great fuel economy is awesome and overall that is the engine i would buy on a new boat.

tight lines

mark

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Evinrude E-TECs should be considered when purchasing new outboard power. They are direct injection, two stroke, oil and gas does not mix, all salt water construction, runs with a S.A.F.E. mode that is if the engine oiling DI system fails (even if it's your fault) the E-TEC continues to run for 4-5 hours at 1200 rpm under warranty.

Themanafacturer recommended scheduled maintenance is once every three years or 300 hours. (4 times in 12 years, 1200 hrs.) Little time lost in the shop for service. No break-in time, no winterization not even fuel stabilizer. I would recommend stabilizating the fuel in your tank. They are super environmentaly friendly and lighter than other outboards (less weight = better economy and better performance).

Through November 30BRP Evinrude is offering a $1.50 per HP cash rebate or an additional 2 year Extended Protection Plan for a total of 5 years. The warranty is non-declining and fully transferable.

CallWills Marine of Pensacola 850-432-2383 ask for mike or Mr. Wills. You can alsoemail to this post. Evenings and weekends 850-342-9718.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Check us out! Emerald Coast Marine, Cape Horn,Key West [new for 08 211] Seaswirl striper,Yamaha,E-tech,Mercery. Nobody will beat my price or service now!!!! Bob 456-8196

·
Registered
310 Posts
Actually i have a question about the ETECS.. when you say no scheduled maintenance for 300 hrs does that include the lower unit?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks a lot for the replies! As for the type of fishing i would be doing would be day trips as far out as and as big of a fish i can get on a boat that i can pull with my 06 tacoma. like i said, im pretty new at the saltwater fishing thing, and thankfully i have met a few guys that were gracious enough to let me on their boat to go fishing. So eventually i should be getting a good idea on what is best for me. anywho, thanks a ton for the input, its all ammo to get the wifey to sign off on the idea! best of luck for those going out today! later.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
We are also the new GlassMaster dealer in the area,, just unloaded 4 of them on friday....

:usaflag

·
Registered
802 Posts
The sea hunts are fine boats and the Yamahas are great engines. I think you would be pleased with that combo. I just bought a used Cape Horn w/ 150 Yamaha 4 stroke great boat and the warranty tranfered on boat and motor I just had to take it to a dealer for a check up it cost me 80 bucks but for 5 year warranty it was worth it. However don't forget a sea tow membership.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
allen_perkinson (11/17/2007)ok, so for the last 2 months, i have not gone to bed with out falling asleep thinking about what boat im going to get. i have looked at a bunch of boats, and i must say that Sea Hunt pretty much has what i want. but for some reason i am still doing research and have found that yamaha motors arent what they are hyped up to be. i looked at JDpower and they were ranked fourth and fifth. what is the deal? its a perfectly capable 4 stroke with a super easy rinse system. is there something i dont know? if anyone out there knows a bunch or even more than i do, about boats and what is the best bang formy buck, let me know. here's what im looking at...

20-22 (maybe 23)foot, 150-200hp center console t-top that won't bust my payroll. preferably new for the warranty.

Thanks!

What does JD Power say about Sea Hunt?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Evinrude E-TEC Manufacturer recommended 300hr or 3 years scheduled maintenance covers the lower unit also. I would recommend pulling the prop on a regular basis to remove fishing line that may have found itself around the prop shaft. If not removed, it will work it's way inward and damage the seal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i checked it out online (i was at work checkin on the forum ;) but it didnt give too much information where i was looking. i will have to check out a dealer. fortunatley there is one right down the road from me, so i will check it out. thanks for the advice bro! i will post what i think of it and contrast it with the sea hunt boat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts