Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Awesome!

There is only one way to get into diving. Go to a good local dive shop and get enrolled in a open water certification class. There under the guidance of a certified instructor you will learn about the Scuba unit and how to use it and the skills you need to know to dive Safely.Then start slow and build upon that foundation. Give MBT Divers a call and they will be glad to talk with you and get you started in the RIGHT direction. You can also meet fellow divers there and talk with them as well. Enjoy Diving!!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
do you have to buy all your own gear to take the class? me and my girlfriend were wanting to get our dive certs so we could have another activity that would involve our sailboat

·
Registered
30 Posts
do you have to buy all your own gear to take the class? me and my girlfriend were wanting to get our dive certs so we could have another activity that would involve our sailboat
There is some gear you will be required to purchase for taking the open water class: mask, fins, snorkel, and booties, all of which need to be DIVE quality. Dive quality means the little kits you see at places like Wal-Mart are not good for Scuba Diving. They are meant for light duty snorkeling. When you put scuba gear on it creates some drag in the water and those kits do not provide the needed power to push you through the water with comfort and ease. You will over work yourself with them and that leads to being tired and uncomfortable. Speak with the dive shop's staff about a student discount on gear when you enroll in their Open Water Certification class. The rest of the gear for completing the class is provided to you by the dive shop while in class. After you complete the class you can rent scuba gear till you purchase your own. Your instuctor can help you in deciding what type of gear to look for. Hope this helps!

·
Videographer
1,735 Posts
MBT divers is for sure our first stop. You don't have to wait for warm weather .....pool session is heated....and winter classes are held at the springs....year around 70 degree water. If you can get the classes out of the way before spring you can be ready to get into some gulf diving when the water warms up......and you will have the whole summer to dive!
We have some great reefs and wrecks here..... I have some video of our local dive sites at www.firefishvideo.com .:thumbsup:
Good luck and don't put it off any longer....you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
lol thanx for the encouragement, i gotta get tires on the truck and some outboard work done but its definitely high on the list

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
adding a question, i went to talk to mbt divers and was told that to take the class i need to have my own fins, mask, and snorkel, i was wondering tho, i understand why i cant use walmart fins for scuba but is there anything that is inherently special about the mask and snorkel that i have that is so much better about their products? im having a hard time justifying the price of their snorkels, the masks i can kindof see a reason because they've got double seals and i can get drop in lenses close to my glasses perscription but i would definitely like some input on other factors before i spend a ton of cash

·
Registered
128 Posts
The snorkel comes in very handy when you are doing a surface swim so as not to use up your bottled air. I have used less expensive snorkels, but the newer ones that shut out most of the water are much easier to clear.

As far as fins, they are your "motor" when you are diving. Do you want a 5 hp motor or a 300 four stroke to propel you. Personally, when the current is strong the better fins are worth every cent. I personally use Oceanic V-12's which is a mid-range fin. Fins last a long time so you won't be making this purchase again for a while. Just something to think about and my two cents worth.:whistling:

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
The mask is your window to the world down there. As you said as well prescription lenses can be added. You don't need a high dollar snorkel. I use one, but if I had just used a cheaper version, it would be what I was accustomed to.

·
Praedator
10,212 Posts
I dove for a full year when I got started using a walmart mask. It did it's job for the year. The silicone is very cheap on those masks and they will leak like crazy after some use. The better masks use a much better silicone that is more flexible and does not warp etc... I have been on my "nicer" mask now for 4 years.

So if you want to get a walmart mask and snorkle, it will do the job to get certified and then a little longer. You do not have to get the most expensive fins out there, but do not get the cheapest fins. The fins are the part that will either make you work hard or easy underwater. All fins are not created equal.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
thanks guys, that was my suspicion on the fins vs mask and snorkel importance, ill probably be dumping some good money on fins and sticking with cheap masks and snorkels in the beginning, any tips / pros and cons on fins, like brands and designs?

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can always buy used gear until you know for sure that you are going to enjoy diving. Watch the "for sale" board here and also craigslist. You may be able to get a good deal right after christmas as many divers may have new gear on their santa list and need to sell their old stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
thanks guys, that was my suspicion on the fins vs mask and snorkel importance, ill probably be dumping some good money on fins and sticking with cheap masks and snorkels in the beginning, any tips / pros and cons on fins, like brands and designs?
With regards to the fins: Unless you are in great shape I would avoid the Rocket fins- the ones like rescue swimmers and tech divers use..They work well in NO-Current conditions like the springs but in current you will work yourself to death and/or get cramps in your legs, this is not true for all but is a good rule of thumb for most...Split fins are great and provide alot of thrust with less effort and are what alot of divers who dive alot use...A good regular style mono fin will work as well to and you will just learn the best way to kick with it...As far a brands go that is open to opinion...Everybody likes what they like and can give you reasons for each...Choose a product your dive shop carries for good service and repair and that goes for all equipment...You get what you pay for....If you go the used quipment route get all the info and contact the dive shop first to find out if there is service parts available then ask the seller if you can have it checked out by the dive shop first then go from there...MBT will help you anyway they can for sure...Lastly remember as you get more comfortable in the water and your skills get better you can make your equipment perform to it's full potential regardless....

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
I agree with Shane on the fins. I use jetfins. If you can swim all day like it is nothing, jetfins by scubapro or bat fins (or wing) by Hollis are awesome. However, they will wear you out if you aren't accustomed to them. Anyone who tries atomics split fins says they are the best, but you will choke on your wheaties when you see the price.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
ive heard and seen that about the atomic split model, any preference on open or closed heel systems?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts