Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience hunting Georgia public land? I’ve spent some time hunting ft. Benning, and may resort back to that. Just curios to hear of other people’s successes or failures in the west central Georgia area.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I’ve only hunted North Georgia in the Chattahoochee National Forest. Fun times. Beautiful country but hard hunting to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

November 2019

November 2019 (My cousins deer)

November 2018

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea after a little research it seems that the deer density is heavier in the south/central areas of Georgia. The more north you get it seems like the more scarce the deer and the harder the terrain.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yea after a little research it seems that the deer density is heavier in the south/central areas of Georgia. The more north you get it seems like the more scarce the deer and the harder the terrain.
There are some conservation areas just north of Atlanta that are pretty good. I’ve also heard that there are some good areas in the northwestern portion of the state. I’ve never hunted the southern part of the state. I go to north GA because I have family in the area and they have a place to stay very near the National Forest which for me is a no brainer. The deer density is definitely much lower in the northern elevations. To much of our public lands in the Appalachians are not managed very well. They have tons of old growth oaks that produce tons of acorns but the lack of browse density in these areas tend to limit deer activity and density. They tend to either clear cut or let it go with very minimal mid-story management.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
If you hunt out of state make sure you're aware of the new laws on brining deer back into Florida. I think the only two states you can bring deer back to Florida from are Georgia and Alabama but you have to get some kind of permission/permit first. Other places it is a no go. I hunt in MS and will make sure I get any deer I shoot processed in MS as close to home as possible.

·
Registered
12,855 Posts
👍👍👍What he said. It is a serious penalty if you get caught carrying deer into FL from another state. Seems like an excessive punishment, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If the deer is boned out you will be fine.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Its a simple thing to get a permit. Go on the fwc and fill out the form. You get a permit right then. De bone the meat and cape the skull and you are good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts