Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slowly refurbing a boat, and have a question. The below decks area where all the important goodies live (pumps, fuel filters, etc) is jammed with a generator. Can't get to anything there. See pics.

What I'm considering is sacrificing the fish box to house the generator. Makes access easier for the genny and the other below-decks stuff.

I'd use an offshore cooler for fish, which we do anyway.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of below deck fishboxes that have to drain via a macerator pump. But...if you put the genset there make sure the hatch is watertight so it does not turn into a pile of rust in a couple of seasons.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's problem number 2. The current generator hatch and the fishbox aren't water tight. It's a work in progress. I'm leaning towards getting the genny where the fish box is and cleaning up the below decks area.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
What are you going to do with the exhaust and cooling for the gen.? Plus there is nothing to stop the rust because of the salt air that cools the gen. It's a bad choice in the deck.

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
Home depot sells weather stripping for about $15 for like 30ft if i remember correctly. i used it to waterproof my hobie PA hatch. you might have to replace it every year but its $15....

tear the genny apart and coat it with rustoleum or engine paint (maybe rustoleum engine paint?). my grandpa had a stockpile of blue engine paint and we coated everything in it.

seal both hatches and cut two air ducts from the hull into the fish box (generator compartment). install some small electric fans in the holes to push air in and out and now you have a cool air system. you can find fans at most electronics stores for computer use or get some small electric radiator fans. they are all really low draw systems and you can wire them to automatically come on when you turn on the generator.

where is the exhaust going now? into the hull? the fans should clear it out of the generator box but you can extend the exhaust tube (use 25-50% larger pipe) and run it through the deck and out the back where your inboards exhale (assuming you have inboards).

there's other options, but that's what i would do if i were keeping that generator.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
agreed...

What are you going to do with the exhaust and cooling for the gen.? Plus there is nothing to stop the rust because of the salt air that cools the gen. It's a bad choice in the deck.
My only other option is to sacrifice the live well and put the genny there. Turn the fish box into a live well. I hate live wells in the floor.

The gen exhausts through the coolant outlet now.

I'm new to boat rebuilds, and looking for options to make this vessel easy to maintain and manage.

The one thing I'm certain of is that the generator is in the wrong place.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a ss frame and a sound shield. The shield was a custom job made for the boat. Heavy vinyl with what looks like an asbestos-type insulation. Makes a big difference in sound level. I just see moving the whole rig back to the fish box and extending the cables and hoses.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes...

Will repaint when it's out of the cage. There is a fan in the noise surround already that seems to do the trick.
Nothing is off the table though.

No fans and engine paint?

·
Registered
245 Posts
CAN the generator!

PLEASE can the generator! Especially if its a GAS model! To do what you are trying to do is CRAZY! I run many boats with this setup and 90% of the time it DOESN'T work! Now add in the SAFETY factor! Its a no brainer-Go for the fishbox even if you have to bail it out by hand!!!!!!!!!;););););)

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Got it moved

Found a master craftsman who moved the genny to the fish box.
Now I can get to the hold, and the genny stays out of the bilge water.
And I have a proper blower to exhaust any diesel fumes.
Plus real sound insulation to keep the db's low.
Sweet!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Proline 2950, 1997 model.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes there is a drain

Do you have a drain in that "generator Box"?
2 actually. 1 went to the macerator it drains into the bilge now. The other was the standard fish box drain into the bilge.

The macerator pump I'm gonna leave in the bilge as an additional emergency bilge pump.

Should I have concerns about this?

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
You want a drain because the generator is water cooled and a cooling water leak could fill the "box" with out a drain and the lid seal if it fails could do the same if wave or weather was putting water into the boat.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah we have drains. I was concerned about potential fuel leaks into the bilge but I guess that risk has always been there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts