Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My feelings are that the General was just saying what lot's of other Military leaders are thinking (but won't say). I am sure that it would be hard to respect, and obey orders from a person who has never been in the military. How long has it been since we have had a Commander in Chief who has any credibility with our troops.

I remember that in my commissioning exercise I had to promise to be loyal to the President, and we knew that we could never said some of the things the General said, but DAMN, we never hadanyone embedded with us to report the s#it we said while we were drinking. Whoever set this up must have known that they were setting up a disaster. This General is a warrior who is fighting a war, and WAR IS HELL! Let him fight the war, or let's get out if Afganistan.

I personally hope he isn't fired!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I honestly don't think he will be. I think Obama would be stupid to get rid of him in the middle of the current push. Slap him on the wrist and move on.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
This belongs in off topic, but anyway. As usual I think, <span style="font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline;">myself and <span style="text-decoration: underline; font-weight: bold;">MANY others base our judgments on what is said in the media, we know <span style="font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline;">VERY little if anything about this Generals policies. Like for one are you aware that <span style="font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline;">ALLOT of our troops do not like this guy because of his <span style="font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline;">STRICT rules of engagement so as not to hurt <span style="font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline;">INNOCENT (insert sarcasm here) civilians, from what I understand it has gotten more than a few of our guys killed. Now I am sure that he simply passes down the rules handed to him by his commander in chief, but still, there are two sides to every story, who am I to say if he needs to stay or go. But as an ex Army guy keep in mind whether you like him (Obama) or not, you can't go around bashing the commander in chief, if every soldier balked at his directives we would be in a <span style="font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline;">HELL OF A FIX !

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appears that the President has relieved McChrystal of his command.

CCC, I understand the issues about respect for our Commander in Chief, and this would have been tough decision for the Pres. With that said:

The General has dedicated his adult life protecting our country.

How much has our Commander sacrificed?

How much would he sacrifice?

McChrystal's hands have been tied by his "superiors" (I think this why some ofthe troops don't like him.)

If we are not going to fight a war to win it, why are we there?

I would hate to fight a war with a pacifist as a Commander in Chief.

I appreciate your views, even if we don't agree.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
McChrystal's out. Patreous is in.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CCC you are more right that me (but I don't like it! ha). I did sign the dotted line, and fortunantly had the sense (or fear) not to openly say how I felt about some of our leaders during the Viet Nam era.

If the Pres had overlooked this, he would have been considered a real wimp.

I am glad he appointed Gen Patreus to replace him.

I still wish the best for Gen McChrystal. Does this mean he has resigned from his command, or his Commission in the Army?

What will happen to Gen McChrystal's staff?

·
Registered
463 Posts
He should be fired for being stupid enough to do what he did. President Obama could not have let this go without firing him. This being said...I would fight beside him.(General Mc.)I have absolutely no respect for our president.

·
Registered
55 Posts
One hundred percent correct. Any General that allows Rolling Stone Magazine to follow him around for a month has to have some serious questions drawn on his judgement. And as bad as you may disagree with the boss and his policy you are responsible for carrying them out. Dont like the president but he did the only thing he could do. Now it falls to another guy to go clean up this mess we are in. Dont envy him his assignment.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Buckyt (23/06/2010)My feelings are that the General was just saying what lot's of other Military leaders are thinking (but won't say). I am sure that it would be hard to respect, and obey orders from a person who has never been in the military. How long has it been since we have had a Commander in Chief who has any credibility with our troops.

I remember that in my commissioning exercise I had to promise to be loyal to the President, and we knew that we could never said some of the things the General said, but DAMN, we never hadanyone embedded with us to report the s#it we said while we were drinking. Whoever set this up must have known that they were setting up a disaster. This General is a warrior who is fighting a war, and WAR IS HELL! Let him fight the war, or let's get out if Afganistan.

I personally hope he isn't fired!
Actually, as a officer of the armed forces, your oath does not include loyalty to the President. You are sworn to defend and protect the Constitution of the United States. All commissioned officers in the United States military must make the following oath of office when they are appointed in the U.S. Army, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy or U.S. Marine Corps:

?I, (state your name), having been appointed a (rank) in the United States (branch of service), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foriegn and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the office upon which I am about to enter. So help me God.?

Enlisted personnelhave a different oath:

I, ___, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the president of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code ofMilitary Justice. So help me God.

Pretty smart of our forefathers....don't you think?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
He really screwed the pooch... He could have told that silly reporter to GTFOOH... But he rather run his cake grinder in front of a reporter with a severely left wing anti war magazine of the most heinous hippie kind!!!

Brent

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Orion, you are probably right about the oath. I took it in 1964 and my memory isn't very good for that far back. The instructors made it clear that we were to support our Commander in Chief.

I don't like our current CiC, and I am glad I don't have to support his commands.I think many of us can agree to this point.

We need somebody to lead our military!

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Orion we can split hairs all we want but you go bashing your superiors when you are in the service and you wont be there long.I EXTREMELY dislike Obama,butthe General should have kept his mouth shut or voiced it behind closed doors.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Go <span id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl14_lblFullMessage">Gen. Mckrystal , stand up to those ass clowns in washington

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,134 Posts
This was the SECOND time the Generalwagged his tongue about civilian leadership. He ALSO was fully involved with the cover-up of the fratricide of Pat Tillman.

He was NOT popular among the troops. (I have two nephews serving in Iraq, including one junior officer on his staff).

He is a GREAT warrior, but he was not politically savvy.

He also pulled a number of morale programs from Afghanistan bases(first run movies, Dominoes Pizza franchises, Starbucks franchises, Burger Kings, because "We are at war... we must remember that every moment of every day")

General, you are wrong. We need MORALE to be high...

It reminds me of a Carrier CO that said... "All liberty is cancelled until morale improves!"

He runs 8 miles a day and expected every sailor, soldier, marine and air force member to do the same.

One of my nephews is stuck on a compound 50 yards by 200 yards with two mess halls, barracks, a small gym, an Internet Cafeand an admin building for 13 months. He's a Navy P-3 pilot yanked off shore duty involuntarilyto be the Army Awards Officer in Afghanistan. He hated going over, but sees the need for his job, though doesn't see how a Navy JO should be doing the job.

Good guy, bad 4-star general.

I hope GeneralPetreaus will be able to pull off his magic again. It's certainly not a step in the wrong direction.

Jim

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Buckyt (24/06/2010)Orion, you are probably right about the oath. I took it in 1964 and my memory isn't very good for that far back. The instructors made it clear that we were to support our Commander in Chief.

I don't like our current CiC, and I am glad I don't have to support his commands.I think many of us can agree to this point.

We need somebody to lead our military!
CCC (24/06/2010)Orion we can split hairs all we want but you go bashing your superiors when you are in the service and you wont be there long.I EXTREMELY dislike Obama,butthe General should have kept his mouth shut or voiced it behind closed doors.
Commissioned officers take an oath to uphold and protect the Constitution and so do the enlisted personnel. Thisis to ensure that we don't end up with a "Generalissimo" or "Presidente" for life like some banana republic. Unless the President is clearly ignoring the Constitution, it is our duty as active duty military to support our Commander in Chief and all senior personnel in our chain of command and carry out all lawful orders, regardless of our personal feelings. Nowhere have I advocated anything else. I merely stated that the comissioned officer oath does not include the statement made by Buckyt.

Bashing a senior (the term "superior" is not correct terminology) in your chain of commandmust not be tolerated and will invariably leads to a breakdown in morale. Gen McChrystal used extremely poor judgment in this instance. Regardless of any merits, his issues withhis civilian counterparts should have been handled privately. If these issues could not have been resolved to his satisfaction, McChrystal should have tendered his resignation to Obama. Obama had no other choice but to relieve McChrystal of his command.

Having said that, I also believe Obama is equally at fault for not reining inthis situation before it escalated beyond control.Obama's poor oversight and his apparentlack of knowledge concerning McChrystal's background prior totheir first meeting, does not inspire confidence in Obamaas Commander in Chief. Seethe followingexcerptfrom the Rolling Stone article:

McChrystal's first one-on-one meeting with Obama: It was a 10-minute photo op," says an adviser to McChrystal. "Obama clearly didn't know anything about him, who he was. Here's the guy who's going to run his fucking war, but he didn't seem very engaged. The Boss was pretty disappointed."

For the sake of ourmilitary and our efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq, I hope Obama will choose to displaysome leadershipandstraighten out the civilian side ofhis "war" cabinet. He owes it to our troops and the American people.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Pat Tillman's family are unhappy with the fabrication of their son's death. McCrystal should have been out then. If any of us had done this we would have had our a** kicked over our heads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts