Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several of you are asking about the tournament and the weather.

While we have the option of running this on Sunday, the Sunday weather does not look any better and Sunday creates a huge logistics nightmare with food, etc. so Saturday is our primary choice and so far we are sticking with it.

Saturday the surf looks hairly for the offshore division but inshore chop and wind looks manageable at this time.

As of Tuesday mid-day, we are still holding this Saturday tournament. If people can safely fish offshore they are welcome to do so. If you do not feel safe, please fish inshore or stay off the water until the weather calms to safe levels. We do not want anyone hurt.

Specific to the offshore division, if no two-fish slams are weighed in a one-fish can win the grand prize. Even a smaller two fish slam will win over a large single king. If absolutely no kings or spanish are caught the offshore grand prize kayak will be awarded through a drawing.

This is important!!! Even if you have caught a small fish, weigh it in!! It may not put you on the leader board but each fish weighed in <ustrong></ustrong>(limit one per species<ustrong></ustrong>) will get you a ticket for a drawing. This specific drawing will be held only if there are unawarded prizes. To give you an example, let's say there are only two kings weighed in. One of them is part of a winning slam, the other gets 1st place king division. This leaves two unclaimed prizes <ustrong></ustrong>(2nd and 3rd place King<ustrong></ustrong>). These two prizes will be awarded through a drawing where the only people with tickets are those who weighed in fish. So Linda Cavitt, who weighed in her Flounder and Redfish could win an unawarded prize from another division. So bring your fish to the scales.

Since I know someone will ask, Yes the Mize Rule does apply to this drawing. If you have won an angler category outright you will not be eligible to win another unawarded prize.

There are several drawings to be aware of:
1. Door prizes. When you check in at Captains Meeting you will be given a door prize ticket to fill out and drop in the box, do so and win.
2. Best Dang Tackle Box -- Bring a nice, new lure to the Capt Mtg and exchange it for a ticket that could win all of the collected lures.
3. Reverse Raffle -- this is the only raffle that costs $$. $10 ticket could win a 2010 Hobie Mirage Pro Angler. Only 300 tickets will be sold so get yours early.
4. Drawing for unclaimed prizes <ustrong></ustrong>(as described above<ustrong></ustrong>) this is not likely to happen but is our way of making sure all prizes go to good homes.

So, even if the weather totally sucks and not one fish gets caught, we will have good food, good scenery <ustrong></ustrong>(the Hooters Girls<ustrong></ustrong>) and all prizes are guaranteed to be given out and we have a process in place to do so.

Remember to be safe and fish with a buddy.

Ted<span class=smalltext>

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Pretty typical tournament weather...this just sux!

FRIDAY NIGHT
SOUTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTH IN THE
LATE EVENING AND OVERNIGHT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET. BAYS AND COASTAL
WATERWAYS CHOPPY TO ROUGH. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. SMALL
CRAFT SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION.

<ustrong>SATURDAY</ustrong>
SOUTH WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SEAS 5 TO
8 FEET. BAYS AND COASTAL WATERWAYS ROUGH. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS. SOME STORMS MAY BE STRONG. A SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY MAY
BE REQUIRED.

<ustrong>SATURDAY NIGHT</ustrong>
SOUTH WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHWEST LATE
IN THE EVENING...THEN DECREASING TO 15 TO 20 KNOTS AFTER MIDNIGHT.
SEAS 6 TO 9 FEET. BAYS AND COASTAL WATERWAYS ROUGH. CHANCE OF
SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Do 'yaks qualify as "small craft"?:toast :shedevil If those forecast numbers are near right, it will be a ruff day to bust surf or even fish offshore... Even if you try near shore, it could be a wet, ruff ride...

Reminds me of my desire to pitch plugs and lures off the bow at a weedline before the boat can wise them up...
On a 6ft day on a 20 foot cuddy cabin, as I was casting, my buddy hollers at me "Hey Bernie (another nickname) are you doin' the BERNIE SHUFFLE?" 'cuz I was literally dancing my feet to maintain balance, cast and reel with nuttin' to lean or hold on to...

Brent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts