Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Surf looks doable, but not ideal. 2.5-3fters with a short dominant period is down right sloppy though. I passed on that yesterday personally. But that is what they are saying five days out. If there is anything Ive learned from looking at surf forecasts every day for the last year straight, over 48hrs out they can be COMPLETELY wrong.

A 15mph NE wind will put a sloppy chop on the water about a half mile out and behind. Weve been fishing in that damn NE wind all winter! But the forecasts says its going to die down a bit. Lets hope so!

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
Quit that sandbagging! You just want that offshore division all to your self. Lol
My foolish ass will be offshore no matter how big the surf.
Mostly because I'm a terrible inshore fisherman:whistling:
Besides, I've been out in much worse then all are predicting and has always produced quality fish.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Besides, I've been out in much worse then all are predicting and has always produced quality fish.
I'm definitely going offshore! I have a 40 lbs king with my name all over it!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Quit that sandbagging! You just want that offshore division all to your self. Lol
No but I have spent hundreds of hours offshore kayak fishing enough to know what the surf is going to be like based on the forecasts we have today.

Besides I have no problem fishing inshore and I may even do that because I have a flounder honey hole and getting a trout and red for a slam wouldnt be too hard.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
No but I have spent hundreds of hours offshore kayak fishing enough to know what the surf is going to be like based on the forecasts we have today.

Besides I have no problem fishing inshore and I may even do that because I have a flounder honey hole and getting a trout and red for a slam wouldnt be too hard.
If u don't fish it and need someone to take care of it pm me ....lol

·
Registered
358 Posts

whoop whoop. see ya out there.

its not the surf i care about--im not launching in the surf.

i know its not the gulf- or the surf, but this is what it was like at this weekends tournament...

cheers.
drew

·
Lucky S.O.B
658 Posts

i know its not the gulf- or the surf, but this is what it was like at this weekends tournament...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBfJ7MyMln0

cheers.
drew
Hmmmmm......now where have I seen that before? lol. My last mirage failure we were 3 miles out in the gulf. I said screw it and fished the rest of the day. Once you paddle that big bitch for 8 hours, you feel like you can handle anything. Nice video!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBfJ7MyMln0

cheers.
drew
If the mast just snapped, remove it and the fin and pedal with one fin. Its weird but much easier then paddling. Unfortunately Ive had to do it twice. As for the water, well lets just say its not a NE wind at 15 mph two miles out. THAT sucks. Waves over the bow every few seconds, yeah, those flounder were worth it!

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
All trash talking aside, it WILL be sporty out there and it certainly looks to be a launch where you can expect to take a wave or two in the chest. If you're not very experienced in the surf, seriously consider an alternate float plan. At the very least, have all your stuff stowed, leashed, and ready to get really wet. Landing is usually trickier. Have a plan for that too or you may be scrambling to pick up your gear as it gets raked through the sand.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
196 Posts
+1 blackjeep. I am not the most experienced in and out of the surf but if I do go off shore I will plan on getting wet going out and getting wet coming in. Also watch out for the boat traffic. The cobia are in and so is everyone with a tower. Kayaks are not the most visible vessels on the water. Hope everyone is safe this weekend and see you all at the weigh ins!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
It is going to be a perfect storm out there Saturday... Wow... GCKFA Tourny, 4 Cobia tournys, 3' clean sets with 7 sec period no wind chop - there will be dozens of surfers there as well...

Start the mayhem...
Stressless

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The first two are to get your attention, all kidding aside whitewater rescue is bitch. Make sure your hooks are secure and your gaff has a nub on the point and is strapped in tight so you aren't the first thing gaffed for the weigh-in when you roll.

http://youtu.be/hkmMc8m8Ebw

This one is a great short "How To" launch in surf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=0LLg3Z6GHjo&NR=1

Before you go fishing in rough water, surf or moving current it is important to know how to get back in your kayak after you fall out. Ken Whiting shows us the trick to getting back in after you fall out. Sat will not be a good day to learn, you have to practice this before you go out in the kind of surf predicted for Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpQe2_uPQN8

How to: i.e do not stop in the breakers Stay perpendicular to the waves

How Not To: Do none of the above...

Note that it doesn't take "monster surf" to make a bad morning...

Have fun, Use caution, Plan ahead
Stressless

21 - 40 of 40 Posts