Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

gas bulb issue

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  mt0264 
#1 ·
Anyone have an ideas on what will make your gas bulb drain and make the ball collapse. Sucks it empty and all the air?

Changed ball, the changed water fuel seperater, and changed my gas pick up line in the tank.

Only does it over half throttle.

Any ideas?

Thx

#2 ·
One of two things come to my mind........ Since you changed your pick up line, it could be something in your tank stopping up the pick up line, or you have a partial blockage in the fuel line leading up to the bulb. Somewhere, between the bulb and the tank, you have a partial blockage......

#5 ·
As Lastcast posted. Might not be able to see it from the outside, but the fuel line liner might have separated from the outer layer and is being vacuumed shut by the engine.
Maybe because of ethanol attacking the rubber over time.

#11 ·
That pic is of some really cheap hose. I don't use it for that reason. Also you will want to check to see if you have an anti-syphon fitting on the tank. It is the actual hose barb that the fuel line attaches to. Remove it and you can see a check ball in it if you have one. Replace it. If you have a cheapo primer bulb, replace it. I have had several cause a restriction because of bad check valves in them. Use a Sierra or OEM primer bulb.

#12 ·
I have some walmart hose that does the same thing. no matter how much you cut off you still get an inner liner peeling. gave me pure hell cranking my Merc. finally i traced it to no fuel from tank. grabbed another line and the motor fired right up. i can take pics of the line if needed.

#14 ·
As stated, check if you have an anti-siphon valve. It is a fitting with threads on one side and barbed on the other. Threads screw into your pickup tube and hose mounts on the barb. I chased your exact symptom years ago for a long time. I finally talked to a friend of a friend mechanic and he diagnosed it over the phone. It looks like a normal barb fitting but the hex part is usually a little longer and the fitting is usually made of aluminum instead of brass. Also yo should be able to rule out vent by loosening or removing your gas filler cap and running the boat over half throttle. If bulb still collapses then it is not your vent. Good luck!!

#16 ·
lawn mower did the same thing drove me crazy, I knew i had a blockage, cleaned tant blew through line still same results wide open hit a bump and start starven for fuel. found inner lining of the hose sucking down and retricting flow ran new hose all the way fixed problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.