Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o.k. i posted a topic a few weeks ago about garmin .i went to bass pro shops in Spanish Fort to look at gps units and a salesman told me there was a rumor that garmin was going to stop making marine electronics. every one here said it is probally nothing to it. i went back today, i was going to buy a garmin gps. the salesman told me that he did not recommend garmin because they were going to stop making marine elec. he said it was true and not a rumor. i wanted garmin but he said to think about the lowrance gps. is this true? anybody heard this or is he just trying to get me to buy lowrance for whatever reason? what about lowrance gps? anybody got any likes or dislikes about them? now i'm all confused and don't know what to buy. somebody help me, Joey

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
That's easy, call Garmin and ask them and then make sure you tell them what BPS is telling their potential customers. I would imagine if it were true there would be major news in the financial markets concerning Garmin and I haven't heard anything and I don't think anyone else has that I know of.

·
Registered
684 Posts
<DIV class=entry-body>

CAYMAN ISLANDS / January 22, 2010 / Business Wire / ? Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN) invites shareholders and investors to listen to its fourth quarter 2009 earnings conference call that will be broadcast over the Internet on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 10:30 a.m. ET, with executives of Garmin. The call will be held in conjunction with the company's earnings release, which will be distributed prior to market open on February 24, 2009.</DIV><P class=entry-more-link>This broadcast will probably give you a clue as to thier future business plans etc. I don't think Garmin is going to discontinueanything incliding marine electronics..........http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2010/01/garmin-ltd-schedules-its-fourth-quarter-2009-earnings-call.html#more?activeBranchId=newsroom

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
o.k. called them and they are closed. no suprise there. i'll try back tomorrow. i also sent an email. i hope you all are right. maybe i'll wait a few more weeks before i buy.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Just my .02 but dont buy lowrance. I have a lowrance unit and a mask, snorkel, and fins make a better bottom finder than the depth finder on a lowrance. Even if Garmin was out of business, I would still go with their product over lowrance.

·
Registered
840 Posts
There are rumors that in the next few years they will quit making GPS units for your car. They claim in the next 5 years all mobile phones will have it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I personally dont know, but if I had to guess I would say the salesman was trying to get you purchase what he wanted you to. For whatever reason he doesn't like Garmin... I dont see them going anywhere they make great products and sell alot why would they quit?

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank's for all the input. it does'nt sound like lowrance will make my next gps. i want garmin. i hope this is all a bunch of crap.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
i talked to the people at george's marine electronics,who sells garmin, and they said if garmin was going to go under or quit making a product line that they would have let them know and they have heard no such "RUMORS". BPS IS TRYING TO SELL YOU SOME LOWRANCE TO GET THAT BONUS PAY!!! BUT THEY KNOW THAT PEOPLE WANT GARMIN.

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
I agree with cobe killer. People will tell you anything if it means they get a bonus or product perks. Hope some body tells Garmin what's going on.

I have garmin and love it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Must be the same guy that told me Penn was going to stop making reels, Evenrude was going to stop making outbaords, Penn was goin to stop making reels.....................................

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
cobe killer i talked to the people at george's marine electronics,who sells garmin, and they said if garmin was going to go under or quit making a product line that they would have let them know and they have heard no such "RUMORS". BPS IS TRYING TO SELL YOU SOME LOWRANCE TO GET THAT BONUS PAY!!! BUT THEY KNOW THAT PEOPLE WANT GARMIN.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two points to make:

1- I'm retired and I work there part time. To the best of my knowledge BPS employees do not get commission on sales.

2- I do not like Lowrance. Garmin is the most user friendly unit I have found.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I have a Lowrance and the customer service sucks. I?ll never buy another one. As soon as this one craps the bed I?m done with Lowrance!!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have owned Garmin and Lowrance fish finders and GPS units. My current boat came with Lowrance combo unit. It works ok, but it is much harder for me to understand and to operate than the Garmin units I have owned in the past. I hope Garmin doesn't stop making marine electronics

1 - 20 of 27 Posts