Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going with my buddy tomorrow. He has a Garmin 3010c. It was tweeked to perfection and you could see a dime fall to the bottom and locate it. All was great. We had a friend on the boat and he messed with the settings and now we can't pick up much. Here's the prob- the bottom 3/4 of the screen "shows" but the top 1/4 shows the real action. If we're in 20' of depth the screen displays up to 100' so it's basically showing a flat muddy bottom.

What do I do first? Any methods/proceedures? I was thinking I would set the the screen to depth and adjust the gain then frequency. I'm new to modern bottom finders- used to use the old paper rolls and that's how you did it on those.

Any help, thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
bigfishrookie (11/16/2007)Going with my buddy tomorrow. He has a Garmin 3010c. It was tweeked to perfection and you could see a dime fall to the bottom and locate it. All was great. We had a friend on the boat and he messed with the settings and now we can't pick up much. Here's the prob- the bottom 3/4 of the screen "shows" but the top 1/4 shows the real action. If we're in 20' of depth the screen displays up to 100' so it's basically showing a flat muddy bottom.

What do I do first? Any methods/proceedures? I was thinking I would set the the screen to depth and adjust the gain then frequency. I'm new to modern bottom finders- used to use the old paper rolls and that's how you did it on those.

Any help, thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
I have a 2006/2010 about the same, If you need a copy of my book I'd be glad to send it to you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not familiar with that unit. Most electronics have a setting somewhere in the menu that says reset all settings to default.( I've had to use this before:banghead) Also you can go online to garmin and download the owners manual for reference.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tuna Man- we do have the manual and have played with the unit and itis working. We just can't dial it it as well as we'd like and as well as we had it. I think it's gonna be some playing around with it in the field. I'll let you know if find any secrets.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
bigfishrookie (11/16/2007)Thanks Tuna Man- we do have the manual and have played with the unit and itis working. We just can't dial it it as well as we'd like and as well as we had it. I think it's gonna be some playing around with it in the field. I'll let you know if find any secrets.
Check your transducer for possible movement.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tuna Man- did that. Just came back from the dock. Met with electronics guy from George's Marine Electronics. He gave us a check-up and installed some updates. Said it is in working order and working great. Took her for a trial run and it's OK- just not "tweeked".

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
bigfishrookie (11/16/2007)Tuna Man- did that. Just came back from the dock. Met with electronics guy from George's Marine Electronics. He gave us a check-up and installed some updates. Said it is in working order and working great. Took her for a trial run and it's OK- just not "tweeked".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts