Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
281 - 300 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
fighting the birds for figs now and lessons learned on my garden. will never grow raised bed again because i think i used up my soil last year plus they do well in my sandy soil . love fresh okra and have gotten my dollars worth
Food Plant Ingredient Natural foods Tableware
Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Agriculture Grass family

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
figs now? damn, that's early.
jack

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
this is the time of the year i hate. this garden has got me bustin my ass trying to keepn up. tomatoes have gone crazy, pink eyes and bl. eyes are everywhere. okra needs picking every other day, peppers are loaded down, cayenne, tobasco, habenero, bell, peperocinii, banana, cukes every day, squash is still blooming, watermelons and cantaloupe coming in a few weeks.
jack

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
this is the time of the year i hate. this garden has got me bustin my ass trying to keepn up. tomatoes have gone crazy, pink eyes and bl. eyes are everywhere. okra needs picking every other day, peppers are loaded down, cayenne, tobasco, habenero, bell, peperocinii, banana, cukes every day, squash is still blooming, watermelons and cantaloupe coming in a few weeks.
jack
So your gona use that new tractor to Open up new ground and expand next year?

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
wilson,
that was my thinking. but the way these few rows have produced, i might as well put up a veggie stand at the road.
jack

Reactions: jwilson1978

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
so, who's planning a fall garden? here's a plot that is on the bottom of a slope behind my house, about 6ft below the road in front of my house. i can stand in the middle of it and be eye-level with the road. it has been a swamp until this year because of the lack of rain and high temps. this summer. i bushhogged when the soil became drier.... got stuck twice because i didn't anticipate the water level in the ground. i pumped water out of this area back in the spring to water my garden. i got some of it tilled up and i am planning on cole crops this fall. anybody got a knowledgeable idea or experience in farming lowland?
jack
Plant Tree Leaf Natural landscape Road surface

Reactions: Deja vu

·
Registered
43 Posts
I gotta say, our garden was a marked failure. Definitely got some serious improvement to try and make before next year.

Everything was planted first week of April (seedlings, except for beans and carrots, which were from seed) and things seemed like they were growing normally at first.

Squash and zucchini started going gangbusters, and producing well until the vine borers got them. I at least know what those beasts are, now, hopefully can keep an eye on them next year. Late replant yielded nothing, plants didn't really grow much, only saw one bloom. They even got my butternut - those are supposed to be resistant to borers.

A lot of the bean seeds never sprouted. The ones that did never produced anything. I think I got 6 tiny beans from about a dozen and a half plants.

As of a few weeks ago, carrots were barely 3" long, if that.

Tomatoes just flat out didn't produce. Some of the plants looked healthy, some pretty wimpy, but I think only 2 produced anything, and next to nothing at that.

Pepper plants produced a few, but very little, very late.

I screwed up letting cucumbers crawl on the ground. They took over everything, and made weeding impossible. I'll let them grow up a trellis next year. They produced a few.

The two strawberry plants seemed to be the only successful ones. Didn't produce much being 4" pot seedlings, but hopefully we can keep them alive through the winter and have them turn into halfway decent bushes.

I gotta lotta learning to do by next year.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Mine too, my beans petered out weeks ago so I re-planted new seeds. My cherry tomato was going all out until about three weeks ago now only a few berries a week. Lots of blooms tho. I don't normally plant this late but grocery store veggies look like crap this year. We will see what happens.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've read on another forum to NOT use cow manure on gardens, due to possible Grazon contamination. Apparently, it's a broad leaf weed killer that's used on hay fields - supposedly has a half life of years, and can pass through the animal and survive the composting process.

I tilled in 10 bags of Black Kow compost this year. I'm wondering if that had something to do with my poor results (or, maybe I'm just subconsciously looking for excuses for my poor gardening skills 🤦‍♂️ ).

·
Registered
710 Posts
Tomatoes just flat out didn't produce. Some of the plants looked healthy, some pretty wimpy, but I think only 2 produced anything, and next to nothing at that.
My tomatoes usually produce buckets and did pretty much nothing except for the cherry and grape plants. After hearing similar reports from friends in FL, AL and GA, I'm convinced the sudden cold to hot transition has been the biggest contributing factor affecting yield in our region.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
i love these latest comments from y'all. it makes me feel good to know that a guy trying his hand at gardening wants to know how, when, where, and why. i remember those days back in the '60's when i was just starting out and learning just like y'all. i think the knowledge will just come from experience. and i still google problems that i have.
from 40 tomato plants, my neighbor and i put up 50lbs.each i froze 2lbs of peas from two 100ft rows. she froze squash, peas, tomatoes, and canned a lot of dill pickles. the cantaloupes were not sweet this year but from a 12ft row we got 40. watermelons are still coming on. black diamond and some kinda round one, she didn't look at the label. blue lake was a disappointment but she got a few bags of kentucky wonder. hot pepper sauce, good god, about 10 quarts so far of tabasco, cayenne, habanero, pepperocini, mixed with sugar and vinegar. imma have to say we did good.
jack

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
Is that the bean? I planted blue lake bush beans that petered out quick. What is the best seed to use? Hot Florida sun in pots.
i shoulda check the label on the pack but i don't know. it just said blue lake. i trained them on a 6ft. trellis and they didn't do squat. next year i will plant rattlesnake. they are great. my brother gave me the blue lake seeds that he got on sale.
jack

·
Registered
710 Posts
imma have to say we did good.
jack
The pics you posted looked great, Jack. The garden guys I talk to all said their yield was down this year ... I've had my container garden for 15+ yrs and they all have way more time in the game than me. My peppers are strong & producing as usual (I just picked another 5 lbs) but they're short and stocky this year. Everything else seemed to go into survival mode (early) once the heat showed up.

281 - 300 of 326 Posts