Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
usually somebody on here starts a garden thread .i haven't seen any lately so i'll start.
fresh spot (30 x 100) in my front yard got tilled up and added 250lb dolomite added. layed out 9 rows. got the garden peas and onions planted on march 1 (too late for potatoes) . kind of a late start but it was fresh tilled sod so i had to work with it until it was ready. the rain is also slowing down progress. finally got the squash, blackeyes, and purple hull in on good friday. lady peas and string beans will be planted as soon as the ground dries up a bit.
yesterday a run to the nursery (36count tray was $14) got tomato, bell, banana, cayenne, habanero, black beauty and will plant them this afternoon. i'll post some pics later. anybody else doing anything this year?
jack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, i forgot to mention the trip 13 preplant.
jack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Planted one tomato, one Thai chili and some Maui Waui.
wasting your time on that last one unless you got it under lights.
jack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pretty sure I'm still the undisputed container garden king in Gulf Breeze proper ... 30 Jal's, 10 Better Boys, 6 Cukes, 2 Cherry Tomato, 1 Shistito pepper, 1 Marconi pepper & an Eggplant. I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow.
i def. would like to see a pic of that. container grown has always fascinated me.
jack

Reactions: HighCotton

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
highcotton,
check this website out for cheap irrigation hose. your setup is perfect for this. i couldn't see any from your pics
jack

Reactions: HighCotton

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
bonnie is not a top notch nursery anymore. at least that's what my brother says. he'll go out of his way to get plants from some other nursery. i know the folks at dennis (ed and nina) and they are good people. look on your labels when you buy plants. dennis nursery, selma, alabama is on every sticker.
jack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
ed is so sensitive he want even let me have the rejects in the afternoon. like when some plants are yellow and getting too big in the cup he throws them out and want let anybody have them. he told me he doesn't want his name out there if the plants die. all they need is to be transplanted.
jack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
just an update on mine:
the whole 2500 sq. ft. is finally planted and looking good. hot pepper (jalapeno, cayenne, tabasco) sweet pepper, onions, tomatoes (early girl bush, whopper), sweet peas, cucumber, bl. eyes, squash (zucchini, yellow),
gonna have to replant pink eye purple hull.
jack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
man, you got some serious seed starts. and i like that raised bed out of live edge cut slabs (1st pic.). i got plenty of live slabs, i think i'll build some like that.
jack

Reactions: 69Viking

Registered
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
we can't get those stickers anymore cause the lumber mill closed down. i got some bamboo that grows on the side of the road leading into selma. hard as a brick. had to use hacksaw to cut it.
jack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
my new potatoes used to bloom about the same time my english peas were blooming. that's a very tasty combination, dig some marble sized potatoes and add the english peas. yuuuummm.
jack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
i don't usually pinch out any first blooms because when i buy plants, they are very young and it takes 2-3 weeks before they start setting buds. i think they have enough energy after this long growth period that they are sturdy. i do pinch out the suckers in the nodes.
jack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
coming along nicely.
far left is english peas, onions, string beans, hot/bell pepper, lady peas, bl. eyed peas, squash, tomatoes, tomatoes/egg plant, okra,cukes, habenero, cantelope,
planted 3/1 english peas, 4/15 everything else.
too late for potatoes. gonna try next year.
Plant Tree Botany Land lot Grass

Registered
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
okra can be sowed as thick as you can in a row. i've noticed years back that okra will produce just as much if you space it or crowd it. just make sure you cut it every day when it starts to produce
jack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
no need to pull the leaves. okra plants prune their bottom leaves naturally.
jack

Reactions: Deja vu

Registered
Discussion Starter · #102 · (Edited)
yea, if you're a commercial grower, that makes sense. but, if your just gardening, you really can't keep up with the amount of okra you'll produce. cut it daily, store it in the fridge, and use it when you get enough.
jack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
since some of you are just starting out with okra, here are some hints that you might already know but are very important. use fertilizer with the numbers like 5-10-15 when planting (high n is bad) in about 60 days the blooms will form and you should start using high nitrogen fertilizer like trip13. harvest must be every 1-2 days depending on the quality you want. mature pods will soak up all of the energy and very few new pods will form.
jack

1 - 20 of 69 Posts