Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Game On Grand Isle report

988 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  big blue 
#1 ·
Left Grand Isle Tuesday morning looking for tuna and wahoo. The tuna fish were not around, ended up with 1 40lb yellowfin and a dozen or so blackfin. After talking to Bill on the Sea Spray and learning that he was really struggling also, I didn't feel so bad, as he is one of the best tuna fishermen around! We started Wednesday morning at a spot where we had an awesome wahoo bite last year almost to the day. Had a double on almost immediately, one came off and the other was acting really funny and really BIG! 20 minutes later line goes slack and we reel in a head of a 25 lb king. We had noticed a couple dolphin(the flipper kind) behind the boat, one of them being unusually large. For the next couple hours we were covered up in kings, they were on 3 and 4 at the time. That damn dolphin took another king and mauled up a couple more. It was crazy, fish just had oval shaped bite marks all over it! I've had flipper steal snapper off the hook, but never trolling. That big one had a racket going I tell you! LOL I believe there were probably a few wahoo there, but the slimies were too thick. Ended up with 1 wahoo about 40 lbs. Oh, flipper took one of the kings right in the propwash, pretty wild! I guess the water never got cold enough to run the kings off, last year we never had the first king bite, go figure! This was defintely the slowest trip so far over there, but you gotta take the bad with the good, just makes you appreciate the crush days even more! Tight lines!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.