Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard this statement for years - "any time I ever hunted a place and a Game Biologist got involved the hunting was ruined in about five years"... Don't think I agree with that but wonder what others might think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i think its has alot to do with the biologist. some like to get so many deer per acre and others will work on doe to buck ratios. i guess a good one would work on both.

i have an uncle that has been a forester for bout 30 years. he has managed several properties in mississippi, georgia and south carolina and worked with many biologists. according to him, if you dont have at least 8000 acres your gonna have a difficult time managingyour heard.if you have 8000+ it will take about 5 years to start seeing the fruits of the biologists/your effort. so maybe over time if done right the deer are older and smarter therefor harder to hunt.

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,548 Posts
I heard the same before as well.

I know we used one when we hunted in Dothan and it worked wonders. This was 15+ years ago on 2500 acres including a couple of the neighbors property. The guy pretty much came in and said shoot x amount of does and x amount of bucks of x size. We followed it to a T. The bucks got bigger and we saw more of them.

On the flip side a couple of our current neighbors across and down the road (2000 acres together) in evergreen had one come in 7 or 8 years ago and he told them to shoot x this and x that. He came at end of the season and collected data and beginning of next season to tell them to kill x this and x that for the year. Deer sightings went down, bucks weren't getting any bigger, and buck sightings were few and far between. They quit the year before last and went back to their old methods. Last year was their best year for sightings and kills in the last 7 or 8 years. They didn't have as good a year this year but it was better than prior years.

I don't know what the difference was in the methodolgy or what was different in the programs but the results were completely different. I think there is enough information out there now to make your own decisions. We hunt 450 acres and try to let the smaller bucks walk and shoot all our does with bows just so we aren't blasting up the green fields. My theory is what am I gonna do with a dink 4,6, or 8pt rack besides throw it in the corner? So I don't shoot them. If you let them grow they will get big. Where we are there is a shortage of does. I think to many have been killed. We use to see 4+ every sitting especially in the afts on green fields. Now we may see 1 every 3rd trip especially after gun season comes in. I personally like seeing more deer and rather have a doe problem then not have a doe.

I also agree with 2pole on having enough land to make it work. I don't know if 8000 acres is the magic number but it does take a lot. Unless you got a lot of land or get the neighbors involved you may be wasting your time...but then if you aren't letting them walk nobody is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts