Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put out a few hooks yesterday trying to get the last bite before the cold front. Rolling along checking lines and FWC came rolling like gang busters. Asked how many hooks I had out and told them 120 or so. They grinned at each other and told me I was way over the limit. Asked for fishing lic and I gave them mine and the wife also. Then I gave him my commercial Lic and everything was good from there on. Nice guys, sorry I disappointed them. Any way here are the pics. Done for awhile. freezer is full. Flat head weighed 30 lbs even

Attachments

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I bought my commercial license for the same reason. Never set 120 bush hooks though. That would be too much work for me. I usually set 25.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,077 Posts
We used to set out 1k on a single line on yellow river back in the 70's, until we got caught. Back then Rollo's was buying cleaned catfish for $1 a pound, not sure what the commercial guys were getting, but not sure if they were even cleaning theirs?

·
Super Moderator
28,512 Posts
Nice haul!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
You set 120 hooks and thats all you got? That's a lot of work for such a small return. You should be getting at least a 50% catch ratio. Curious, what kind of hooks are you running? I may be able to suggest one that will increase your catch significantly.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Circle octopus size 7. Its my bait that's the problem Glen. I use a homemade recipe and bait 120 hooks for about $2. Have the time just aint buying minnows or chasing done suckers and such. Freezer full for awhile and it took 4 hrs to put them out and 2 to pick up. Didn't go 1/2 mile from the ramp. Wish I could use blue gill. Have millions in the lake here.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
25 hooks total. 25 bush hooks or 1 trotline with 25 hooks. I have never had a 50% catch ratio and have never heard of anyone who has on a consistent basis. I caught 12 on 25 bush hooks once that I can remember and that was checking them several times during the night not baiting and coming back the next morning.

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Circle octopus size 7. Its my bait that's the problem Glen. I use a homemade recipe and bait 120 hooks for about $2. Have the time just aint buying minnows or chasing done suckers and such. Freezer full for awhile and it took 4 hrs to put them out and 2 to pick up. Didn't go 1/2 mile from the ramp. Wish I could use blue gill. Have millions in the lake here.
No shad where your fishing ?

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Nice spread of fish regardless of how many hooks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No shad where your fishing ?
I don't know how to get them or even tell if they are there. The blues all had bellies full of small dime sized clams. The flathead had an eel about 18 inches long and size of my thumb. Working Perdido and Escambia rivers. Are there shad there.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
You set 120 hooks and thats all you got? That's a lot of work for such a small return. You should be getting at least a 50% catch ratio. Curious, what kind of hooks are you running? I may be able to suggest one that will increase your catch significantly.
I can smell the confidence from here. Just what do you whisper to the fishes to achieve a 50% catch ratio? Whats the suggested hook? This is making my taint tingle......:yes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts