Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Fellow Anglers!

We took the science/research end of your local Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation unit out in the waters today. Our mission was tagging and releasing fish. We fished mostly public spots and NEVER exceeded 17 miles from Pensacola Pass. Fishing was like buying popcorn at the movies. Our buddy, flipper came to see us a few times, but whenever it became intrusive, we just left for another site. Almost everyone got "wrecked" more than once and Eric(my son andmate) untangled the FWC guys a few times, but most all of the anglers and Kelly (counter/data recorder/tagger) if cut would bleed saltwater. So, needless to say, these people could fish. Brian and Carlos (friendly fish counters)will tell you, there was no slacking going on in this "science project."

The great news for us is that today was (according to Kelly) the most productive tagging trip her group has ever had. We tagged 238 Red Snappers. (that is 224 more than what their limit would be) Our biggest was around 15lb. As I said, many fish wrecked the anglers. We tagged and released 4 triggers over 5lb and over 30 vermillion snappers. We were stymied on both "mingo" holes by atlantic bottlenose dolphins. We left after they acted ugly. We lost 3 or 4 tagged snappers to the dolphins.

The thing I would like to say is that we have a VERY competent staff in the research end at FWC and we need to keep treating these people as our friends in fishing and answer all reasonable questions they have. They were very methodical and calculating in their efforts. Kelly even wanted to know if the fish were caught on the top or bottom hook of the 2 hook rigs. All I can say is:

GREAT WORK GANG! Thanks for going along!

Capt. Jim Stone www.aquaventurecharters.com

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
maybe thiswill help us out with the snapper limits now they know they are everywhere as thick as the oil in the gulf of mexico

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This should be known as the "TEN FOOT POLE THREAD" 5oo views and one reply.

Ok...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Not sure how to reply to this. One thing we do know is that they are not, or have not in the past,beenusing fish on artificial structure as part of the assesment process. It also seems that we have been telling them this for the last 3 years but it just falls on deaf ears at the higher levels of the decision making people that make the rules. Having said that, it is good to know that the scientists participated in this process and did see it for themselves. We can only hope this helps with the process of getting us rec fishermen more fish to keep and not goto the commercial guys. I wonder though, at what point of red snapper saturation do they finally make the determination that the snapper have completely depleted every other species on the reefs and need to be culled out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold;">As in every field there are crooked people and as long as there is financial gain to be had there will be a red snapper problem unfortunately with the the over abundance of the red snapper there will definitely be a problem with the other species that they directly effect due to eating their offspring . Guess what more restrictions and more studies = less fishing for everyone.<br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Federal funding, lobbyist and grant money hundreds of millions of dollars each and every year you gotta love it.

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul,

When one of our members exposed this dirty little scheme called SOS, and who was behind it, some lights came on in my head. I had no idea what was going on or who was behind it. Environmental Defense Fund is a corrupt, leftists organization out to manipulate data and create wealth for behind the scenes criminals. My hope is that FWC and it's higher ups will see this for what it is. It seems that NMFS is a lost cause and that the only folks that may listen (or see the blinding light)are our officials in FWC.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Glad to hear you put the researchers on to reality, Thank you.

Did they happen to mention why FWC follows NMS?

I wonder if they know that Texas state, told the feds to pack sand and went with their own research.

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Run Dover (28/05/2010)Glad to hear you put the researchers on to reality, Thank you.

Did they happen to mention why FWC follows NMS?

I wonder if they know that Texas state, told the feds to pack sand and went with their own research.
Texas basicly told them to smooch their bungs. There is politics and there is reality. This henny penny sky falling as sealark so accurately describes, just didnt catch on in Texas. The Texas powers that be over the fishery are to be commended on their collective spines. A relative who lives there says they catch their limit every time out. I don't need to shoot myself in the foot, so I will hush... One thing for sure, if the NMFS does not account for all these BP charter boats under contract and not fishing for snapper, and the season is not extended, we will truly know that these snapper regs were all about control and not conservation.

·
Registered
518 Posts
We caught today, fishing public numbers.

13 Red Snapper 18-20" each

4 black snapper

5 Grouper under limit

1 trigger

2 AJ

1 king (Cuda food)

2 ruby red lips!

1 mingo

There will be a slaying June 1st! PERIOD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts