Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Returning from a trip Saturday, while cleaning fish an unmarked truck pulled into our driveway, and an uniformed FWC officer gets out and walks back around to the pier. Very friendly and polite, he asked how was our day .. we had the fish out of the cooler, all 100% legal species, size and number.

Never had a check from the shore , and from our private property (though out on the dock I think is all his jurisdiction).

I think we was checking boats at a nearby marina and saw me come in, though we have to tied up and pulling gear and fish off for at least 15 minutes before he showed up.

Has any ever had FWC pull into their yard ?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm pretty sure private property doesn't matter. By that logic they couldn't check your hunting license on your private land. Either way that is strange I've never heard of that happening before.

·
Super Moderator
13,141 Posts
Yeah if they see you with anything that could show probable cause that you are hunting or fishing, they can check you no matter where you are. Personally I think it's BS and it's a way to manipulate the 4th amendment, but I'm just some average citizen and the government doesn't give a crap about my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

·
DROP TINE BUCK
6,264 Posts
Seen fish cops do just about whatever they want at one time or another.

I got pulled over by a game warden (MDWFP) over a few years ago pulling my boat up the highway coming back from fishing, I was at least 5 miles from any body of water.

When he stepped up to my window, he asked for my fishing license, Me being the smart azz that I am, I kinda laughed and told him I wasnt fishing and he wasnt seeing my license, he then told me I had to show him my license because I had fishing gear on the boat, I laughed again and told him to go ahead and start writing tickets, so he did....

Called the courthouse the next morning and finally talked to someone that had a little sense, told them my story, they said they would make contact with the officer and get back with me..... they called back a while later and through out tickets and told me to have a good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
913 Posts
What would have happened if you had already completed cleaning the fish? You have landed in whole condition like required but you are cleaning on your dock and recycle the heads into the crab trap or water. Are you in violation?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I haven't, but game wardens have a ton of jurisdiction and it is possible for them to come onto private property with probably cause. Just because you're hunting on your land and blasting away at deer after legal light doesn't mean they are forced to wait on a public road until they see you.

I believe one of the Dakotas passed a law to prevent LEO's from coming onto private property for enforcement reasons recently, but they're the only state to do it.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I've heard Game Wardens have more jurisdiction than most any other LEO due to them being able to claim nearly anything as probable cause, so much so that I believe many local LEOs will sometimes bring a Game Warden along with them for certain cases...at least that's what I've been told. Be glad you where in Florida, everyone of those guys I've ever dealt with have been pretty good dudes...Alabama however, you're guilty of something until you can prove yourself innocent, everyone of those guys I've ever dealt with has been a first class prick.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Haha, nope. I'll stick a lawsuit so far up their ass if they claimed that.
Last month got stopped by FWC he wanted to do a safety check on my boat ,I said ok because I knew everything was legal. Counted life jackets fire extinguisher etc. Then he ask me for my horn , whistle and my bell, I asked him what did I look like a One Man Band. He wrote me a ticket for being disrespectful to a FWC officer, I told him I would see him in court. Went to court last week , Judge ask the officer to tell him what he asked me for , officer said he asked for my horn, whistle and bell . Judge told officer he should have asked me for my horn, whistle OR bell. Judge agreed with me and Voided the ticket. I am sure I will see this officer again and I will be Legal again.....

·
Registered
558 Posts
I would have had a hard time not telling him to get off my property without a warrant. I respect the popo but we have become a police state where the constitution doesn’t matter anymore. Simply seeing you with fish doesn’t seem to be probably cause that you have committed an infraction, and it takes a lot of nerve to walk into someone’s backyard.

·
Registered
664 Posts
This is why i keep a big dog in the yard. No disrespect to FWC or any LEO. Now if the guy was smuggling dope or something i get it, but a damn fish??

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have a hard time believing that anyone can enter my home without a warrant. If they look in my freezer and see my fish, the only way they would know what they are and when I caught them is because I label everything and date it. Outside, maybe. Just because I have been participating in a legal activity does not constitute probable cause. I think there has to be another loop hole like consent given when you buy the licence or something. I am curious now.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Returning from a trip Saturday, while cleaning fish an unmarked truck pulled into our driveway, and an uniformed FWC officer gets out and walks back around to the pier. Very friendly and polite, he asked how was our day .. we had the fish out of the cooler, all 100% legal species, size and number.

Never had a check from the shore , and from our private property (though out on the dock I think is all his jurisdiction).

I think we was checking boats at a nearby marina and saw me come in, though we have to tied up and pulling gear and fish off for at least 15 minutes before he showed up.

Has any ever had FWC pull into their yard ?
Also possible one of your neighbors called them... :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I believe things like this seldom just happen by chance.:cautious:.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also possible one of your neighbors called them... :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I believe things like this seldom just happen by chance.:cautious:.
One of my crew said the first thing Mr FWC said when he stepped out of his truck was someone at the marina (Holiday harbor) told him was running charters out of my house. I do not and I am going to follow-up with Holiday. Also learned from another neighbor he hauled ass down River road and had to slam on brakes to make the driveway.

Thanks for the replies... everybody be careful.out there!

·
Bearded Brotula
12,956 Posts
They’ll shoot your dog in a heartbeat if they feel threatened.
If a FWC officer shoots your dog, while coming to check on fish(that are supposed to be presumed legal fish, we have that funny presumption of innocence thing), then I bet he would get fired. If not, then I would raise all sorts of hell with your legislators.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts