Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From hitting the Hawser line in the bay.
After installing my prop, I spun it and noticed a wobble.
Sure enough the shaft was bent.
It was 60 thousandths out.
Figured I would have to spend the bucks to replace it. I found a YouTube video that showed this method.
shaft is now less than five thousandths out.
hopefully the seals survived this.
9BBE472E-C195-4DFE-8F32-814D25D90D73.jpeg

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Better get it straight or just replace it. I assume bevel gears they need to be straight. If not perfect they will wear.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,321 Posts
I would replace the shaft and take a look at the internals. Or maybe the shop would have roller blocks and dial indicator and a press to make sure it is 100% from one end to another.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s true to within 5 thousandths.
im gonna run it.
these things are pretty robust.
may have it repaired or replaced next winter

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you mean +/- 0.005, or +/- 0.0025? It probably was +/- 0.0025 before you hit the rope. +/- 0.005 would be a lot to run it that way. How far out was it before you started straightening it?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you mean +/- 0.005, or +/- 0.0025? It probably was +/- 0.0025 before you hit the rope. +/- 0.005 would be a lot to run it that way. How far out was it before you started straightening it?
it was out 60 thousandths before I started, you could see it wobble.
now it is about 5 thousandths out.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I won’t argue if you say it worked, but on a brand new motor I would’ve filed a claim and brought that in to a shop. I’m hopeful for you but I would be scared of potential internal damage ( ie gear micro fracture). Shocked that seals weren’t compromised. Cool trick though.

·
Center Mass at 300m
2,100 Posts
Dam, and thought I was a cheap azz. For that, I'd spend the cash to get it fixed right.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
.0005 out is not much.....if you're not feeling vibration I'd say your good to go.....rope compared to hitting hard structure is night and day imo.....let us know how it holds up.....cool save the day....I'd try it in a heartbeat if I was in your shoes.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts