Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone. I was fishing today in the Bayou Texar area. I was over to the east side,south of cervantes bridgewhere it goes along some docks and woods and is kind of shallow. I was jig fishing for specks, reds, or whatever felt like gettin caught. As I was drifting

around, I all of a sudden noticed a bright bobber in the water about 50 yards away. I paid it no mind at first, but then when I looked in that direction a few seconds later it was gone. Then it reappeared. I looked on shore and saw no rods or people fishing so I figured there was a fish or

something attached to it. I trolled over and low and behold it slowly went away from my boat, and even went below the surface.I was going to try and grab it with my hands but could never get close enough.

Good thing I didn't. I made a few casts at the bobber instead, hoping to snag it. Keep in mind I still did not know what was on the other end yet. On my second cast, I managed to snag the line. As I reeled slowly it got very tight, and then all hell broke loose. It made about 5-6 good runs.

My 430ssg drag was set all the way!! It turned out to be a great fight. I managed to net it up, and right away measured it up at 24 inches. Not a huge bull, but just right. In the cooler it went and I even kept the bobber. If the person who this happened to wants their bobber back, just

identify the color and size and I'll be happy to return it. As for the fish, well, lets just say it was pretty darn good!!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
i have seen this happen in person. not with a bobber but a friend while in a tourny caugh a line that had a 27in and maybe 1/16 over. the fish fought like he just got hooked. it wasgood we caught him because he was draging about 200 yards of line. thats why they call it fishin. you never no what your going to catch

·
Registered
747 Posts
i had that happen to me and my brother chris(tripleblessing). when we were kids growing up in south florida we fished the everglades sawgrass area quite a bit. saw a bobber close to shore, wrapped my line around it and low and behold a big bass on the other end. we still laugh about it to this day.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Something similar happened to me and friends when I was kid. We were fishing off the Granada bridge in Ormond beach. I was on the bottom and reeling - think I had lost a bait. While reeling in I snagged a line off the bottom. We pulled an old Zebco 22 that had been in the water for days, maybe weeks - and then reeled in the fish that pulled it in (catfish). We were happy cause we had had one of our rods pulled in weeks earlier (not same one). :)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
my sister caught a bass in the pond at Baywatch condos that was trapped in a ziploc freezer bag, so I believe your tale...I firmly believe the bass would have died in the bag had she not snagged it- the bag was not sealed, but the fish was thoroughly disoriented...we released it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Something like that happened to my grandpa and myself when i was about 7 years old. We were staying the night at our river house on black water so we set out a good ol zebco with some stink bait on it that night. Well we woke up the next morning to check the line and we got on the dock and the rod was gone!

Well later in the after noon we were fishing on the boat and saw something moving on top of the water and rippling so we check it out and it was our rod! Grabed it and started cranking line in and the biggest catfish i had ever caught was on the other end! great story ill never forget!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
It happened to a friend of mine. He stopped at a spot to fish and as usual, he would walk around and ask folks what they were catching. One guy was packing up to leave and told him that he just had a nice fish on that broke his line. Laughingly he told my buddy that if he saw a bobber witha glowstick on it.......it's his fish. Well the guy left and 20 minutes later my friend noticed a bobber with a glowstick........long story short.....he caught the fish and keeps the bobber in his tackle box so he can give it to the guy in case he ever sees him again.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a similar story, but I actually caught three redfish on one cast. I was wade fishing the grass flats throwing a grub and hooked something I thought was really BIG. It turned out to be a stringer with 3 keeper reds on it!!

·
Registered
931 Posts
same thing happened to me i was out fishing in my kayak and it was about dark the sun was just dipping below the horizon and i started hearing the noise of a cajun thunder but i didnt think anything of it because on of my rods was rigged with one and i htough it was just rattling with the motion of the yak but then i saw a cajun thunder swimming by me so i started casting my super spook jr at it but everytime id get close itd go under so i followed it for as long as i could but then the sun went down and couldnt see it anymore

·
Registered
848 Posts
jONBOATMAN! Classic story and good thread for a few good stories. I get plenty of poppin bobbers, or baby buoys as my sweetness calls 'em. but...

How come they never have no fish on them?

But You have to tell us about that bazooka you have there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts