Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had family in town this weekend so we headed to Fort Mcree to camp. We started out fishing around the jetties where we caught about 60 silver mullet, 10 or so redfish (most of which were too big to keep) and several Spanish and bluefish. Grilled the Redfish at camp for dinner. We woke up the next morning to dead calm winds and the gulf was super glassy so we decided to head out and try for cobia on our awesome home made ling tower. We saw several but didn't have any luck getting them to bite. From there we went to the three barges and caught several good size red snapper, a keeper black snapper, a nice Spanish, 17" trigger, and some other undersize stuff. All of the snapper and triggers were caught on live squid that we found while leaving the pass. The water was crystal clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
Looks like ya'll had a great weekend. Haven"t camped there , well the last time i drove to the end. good to see people enjoying the beach there still. I might load the boat and do it again. The rangers don't hassle you what are the rules now.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yea, that was the best post I have seen in a long time. Looks like the perfect getaway in our very own backyard. It's a shame I don't take advantage of that anymore....
I think it's time to plan a trip!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Very nice !!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Scott

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Ok we are in...

Burning pallets for a fire reminds me of home.
I've seen that home-made tower somewhere before.....
Nice.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Live Squid in the pass? How did you catch them - cast net? I've never seen them before. Any info would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah it was rare. I've caught them from ft pickens pier under lights before but never in the pass. We were cruising the beach looking for finger mullet when we saw the ball of squid in about 4 ft of water. I initially though they were shrimp. I covered them up with the bait net and a cloud of ink came out. Caught them near the second jettie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts