Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been grunting with no success until yesterday. I had to work so I got to the stand at 2:45pm and once I sat I grunted 1 time then 10 minutes later I grunted once more then this 5 walked out. I'm not one to shoot a 5 point most of the time but I had to break the buck ice this year. The only shot I had was a neck shot which I never tried before and now I am a fan. I got down and drug him under my stand got back up and 2 big doe walked out so I picked the biggest and dropped her also. I think I figured out how to grunt call after this. I have been grunting every 10 to 15 minutes in a series of 3 or 4 grunts with no success. I think the key now is to only hit the call once every 15 to 30 minutes. That was the first time it worked so it's a work in progress but it was way cool.

·
SaltWaterDave
1,849 Posts
Nice set of deer there!

I have tried all sorts of timing and grunting combinations and have yet to have a deer step out. What grunt are you using?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
naclh2oDave (1/24/2010)Nice set of deer there!

I have tried all sorts of timing and grunting combinations and have yet to have a deer step out. What grunt are you using?
It's a Harmon Deer Scents grunt call. I don't think they have a website but they specialize in southern deer pee. I figure it works better than piss from Ohio for this area. There # is 706-635-3337. I have had luck with there scents in game camera locations.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Two for one! Looks like you had a good time, now for the duck slayer to return!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
7mmbrowningman (1/24/2010)Congrats brutha!:clap You take these over at the club you are in or on the new property?[/qThe new 209 acresuote]. The new property. I just checked my camera and next year is looking good. I have 3 different 6 points on camera from last week

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Congrats on the double up, well done. The neck shot is by far my favorite shot, I am sure you know this but if you aim just a little bit more central to the neck it will drop them everytime (Turns the spinal cord to jelly). A throat shot will kill them for sure (but a lot of times they will run)but when you are closer to the spine they will fall right there. Congrats again, doubling up is always a treat.:clap

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the only shot I had. He came out down wind and was spinning to run. He ran about 30 yards. Holy crap what a blood trail! There was blood in trees above my head.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Bullshark (1/24/2010)
7mmbrowningman (1/24/2010)Congrats brutha!:clap You take these over at the club you are in or on the new property?[/qThe new 209 acresuote]. The new property. I just checked my camera and next year is looking good. I have 3 different 6 points on camera from last week
It was later in the afternoon wasn't it? I heard a couple shots over towards your way...just before dark

·
Registered
356 Posts
Bullshark (1/24/2010)
naclh2oDave (1/24/2010)Nice set of deer there!

It's a Harmon Deer Scents grunt call. I don't think they have a website but they specialize in southern deer pee. I figure it works better than piss from Ohio for this area. There # is 706-635-3337. I have had luck with there scents in game camera locations.

congrats on the double kill!

heres the website www.harmondeerscents.com

you said you have had luck with their scents? any one in particular? might look into them next season

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Bullshark (1/24/2010)That's the only shot I had. He came out down wind and was spinning to run. He ran about 30 yards. Holy crap what a blood trail! There was blood in trees above my head.
Then my brother it was a hell of a shot, and it always works. Never a problem tracking them that is for sure. Congrats again.:clap

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
7mmbrowningman (1/24/2010)
Bullshark (1/24/2010)

It was later in the afternoon wasn't it? I heard a couple shots over towards your way...just before dark
. I shot the buck at 3:30 only minutes after sitting and the doe about 45 minutes left to see. As far as the scent 3 doe in a green spray bottle with a orange lable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts