Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit our usual spot mid-day yesterday with a few shark rods, a large bait net and an appetite for some more small Bull Sharks.

Quickly caught a few mullet in the 8" range and hooked them live and yaked them out about 200 yards off the beach. The first run was pretty solid but no hookup. About 20 minutes later we got another run and got the hookup this time. Danny was on the rod and got this little Bull right up to the shoreline just as the hook pulled. I was in the water getting ready to grab the tail when I heard him yell out the hook pulled. I grabbed him by the tail, (The shark, not Danny.) and managed to throw him on the sand for some quick pictures with the kids. Then a safe and healthy release.

Shortly after that is was time to pack up and get ready for my date with a charcoal grill and some marinated chicken. As I was reeling in my line this Alligator Gar decided he wanted my mullet. Took some quick pics and released it. That was my very first Alligator Gar ever!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right JD7! I just looked it up and you are dead on! Damn, I thought I finally caught an Alligator Gar... Oh well, it was still cool looking. Thanks for the correction!

Gary

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not a bad day!

What kinda setup are you running for those?

#test? leader? hook?

I have accidentally caught a couple sharks while red fishing, but never actually set up to hunt the sharks.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We usually shark fish off the Gulf Beach, but recently have been going to our inshore spot during the day because it's close to home and the wife and kids can get some sun, swim, etc...

Our normal gear consists of 6/0 reels spooled with 80lb mono, 10' of seven strand wire and an 18/0 circle hook. However, when we fish out spot off Scenic Hwy, we usually use a 4/0 Penn with 50lb mono, 6-8' of wire and a smaller circle hook. Hell I caught one of these small Bullsharks last weekend without a wire leader. Just used 50lb mono leader.
I have an 8' bait net and we usually have no problem catching live mullet which we yak out right away. If interested, come join us one weekend!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hell yea man. Im definitely up for it in that case. I have my kids this weekend and the next weekend, but maybe after that I can get out there with you guys. And before you say it, I know you take your kids out there, but mine are 2 and 3 and neither swim yet but both love the water so when we are out there its a full time job keeping close to them.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand. We shark fish at Chickenbone-Gulfside at night, but usually hit our spot off Scenic hwy during the day on Sat & Sunday. I will PM you my cell number so just call me whenever you want to meet us. I will be sure to get my extra 4/0 rigged for you and ready to go. Even though small, those Bullsharks on a 4/0 Penn are a blast!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts