Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the full moon shut down hunting on anyone else's place or is it just mine? Talked to my boss and they hunt over in Lowndes County and they haven't seen a deer on a greenfield in 2 weeks....just heavy timber.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Woody, I went last Saturday (wasn't quite a full moon by close) up here and killed an 8 point at 1530. Walked to the stand and had not even got my orange hat off before 2 does ran out in the field followed immediatly after by the buck. I swear I was not in the stand for 90 seconds total. Another thing, he came out trailing the does and his neck is swelled up already. Not sure whats up with that but he looked like he was going into rut already ?

·
Registered
506 Posts
They deff shut down there movement on my place just south of Dothan,AL. Last Saturday was Full moon, didnt see any deer all weekend out in the open, but boy at night they were moving all over the place. I always get the :reallycrying when I have a good hunting weekend planned and it turns out to be a full moon.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
They're definitely hammering the acorns in SW Georgia too. They feed throughout the night on full moon nites, and often move during the middle of the day. The good news is that this weekend "may" be the magic weekend in GA - take a look at this webpage that says that 7-10 days after the full moon in November is a good bet for rut activity.

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-STYLE: italic; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">http://www.huntinglog.com/display.asp?pagename=Shoot%20the%20Moon

Ed

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm in Missouri and they've shut down during daylight here too, at least where I'm hunting. I've hunted the last 2 evenings and haven't seen any on my stand but several on the drive home.A couple weeks ago while the moon was dark they were all over me.

·
Super Moderator
28,614 Posts
Woody, on full moon phase deer movement usually is best 10am to 3pm (give or take). Then again the other evening when it was full I saw 13 deer from 3pm to dark 30....I think a lot depends on pressure also...

·
Registered
775 Posts
I personally LOVE hunting during a full moon...you dont need the spotlight! JK but I really do like full moon phase. All year long...doesn't matter to me at all. I kill a large portion of my deer during full moon phases and it pays to sit longer into the morning for sure!

4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cannot even begin to tell you how badly i hate hunting mid morning when the temps have climbed back into the 60's. maybe it's just what the doctor ordered though. we'll see how this weekend goes....back to primetime plantation at 1100 hours tomorrow

1 - 10 of 10 Posts