Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2006 245CC Edgewater Knowing it had a fuel leak and negotiated price accordingly. The Smell of fuel is coming from inside the center console. When you open the door where the storage area and porta potty are you can smell it. The guy I bought it from said he checked the obvious areas that were accessible through the deck plates and found no evidence of fuel. He thinks it is the tank. I live in Ft Walton and already called Auer Marine and they said they can't troubleshoot this problem. My question to you guys is , who can? And any idea of cost to remove console and replace tank if it comes to that? I literally bought this boat yesterday while I was in Key West and am towing it back to Ft Walton tomorrow. I also deploy on the 26th of this month for 90 days and would like to get it to someone competent to work on it while I am gone. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, recommendations. CONCH!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Has a T-top been added? Mounting the T-top could have screwed through the fill hose of the tank. I saw that on a 22 Pathfinder.

Reactions: Snagged Line

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do you have access to the tank filler hose flange, vent hose flange, sending unit, and the pick up fuel supply flange. Cap off 3 of the 4 and pressurize to 5 lbs. If there is a leak fuel will flow and pressure will drop. You can rig something with a low pressure gauge and a shrader valve or tire vale on a pvc cap along with a compression fitting (rubber) to fit one of the flanges. Those parts can be picked up at Lowes etc.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
How old is the boat. What kind of tank, material? I wouldn't put 5 lbs of pressure on a tank full of gas. Best thing if boat is 10 years old or older. Pump the fuel out and remove tank then check condition of tank. If it looks good put a couple pounds of pressute an tank and soap test for leaks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just bought a 2006 245CC Edgewater Knowing it had a fuel leak and negotiated price accordingly. The Smell of fuel is coming from inside the center console. When you open the door where the storage area and porta potty are you can smell it. The guy I bought it from said he checked the obvious areas that were accessible through the deck plates and found no evidence of fuel. He thinks it is the tank. I live in Ft Walton and already called Auer Marine and they said they can't troubleshoot this problem. My question to you guys is , who can? And any idea of cost to remove console and replace tank if it comes to that? I literally bought this boat yesterday while I was in Key West and am towing it back to Ft Walton tomorrow. I also deploy on the 26th of this month for 90 days and would like to get it to someone competent to work on it while I am gone. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, recommendations. CONCH!

Legendary Marine in Destin is an Edgewater dealer if that helps any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
lobsterguy
800 Posts
Soap Yes

I am going with the soap trick to find the leak. I can't imagine that year boat with a tank leak. But then I would not run anywhere with a scent of gas. soap everything anywhere you can get. Light on pressure also. Clean it and check for any rainbows. Don't start cutting out consoles til you actually have some evidence. I am thinking connections as in joints and fuel hoses. Best of luck

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
We can change out that tank a Mccormick marine @ jolly Rogers we will have new tanks built by Dennis aluminum coal tar epoxy and reinstall with new fuel fill hose and vent hose you can reach me at +18506021434 thank kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Cap off 3 of the 4 and pressurize to 5 lbs. If there is a leak fuel will flow and pressure will drop.
1st you can't just "Cap" off the tank. The Fill and Vent hoses are heavy, Stiff and a Royal pain to get off even when your replacing them.

5lbs pressure? NEGITIVE!!!!

3lbs at the VERY most. 5lbs doesn't sound like much does it....It creates Tremendous pressure beyond your belief with just 5lbs reading on the gauge.

You can Blow a tank apart! I've done it when a tool failed.

Center console boats are a pain when it comes to removing a fuel tank. Why?

Because the job is to change the tank.....Now your off dealing with the Crappy wiring and control cables to get the console out of the way.

You can figure about $5K for the job.

I work with a company to make the new tank better than the original. A few tricks I've learned over the years . 1 is to make the tank so you can put fuel in wide open at the gas nozzle.

Ever had a boat that you had to creep the gas in, or it would spit back out? Royal Pain in the Ass.....when your pumping 60, 70 ,80gals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts