Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a fishing report, sorry. I surfed at the point yesterday and saw a myriad of sealife that I feel compelled to share though. First thing I saw when I hit the water was a small sea turtle right at the edge. Didn't have the GoPro so no pix. It was a lot faster than I imagined and it scurried away pretty quickly when it caught sight of me. The man point of my post is the amount of sandfleas present. I saw at least 25-30 substantial colonies of fleas as I walked about a half mile. Each colony contained at least 50-100 fleas each, no exaggeration. There was a good variety in size too. I started walking at the west end of the lake and stopped past the lone palm tree and the vertical dunes. I could not believe how many fleas there were and that they were reachable given how heavy the waves were crashing the beach. I wish I would have had a rake and bucket because I could have scooped up enough to fish all fall, winter and into spring. Plus there were tons of juvvy pomps feeding alng the edge as well. That was the highlight of the day, except for the clean and uncrowded waves. Given the amount of fleas, I feel that a fishing trip to the forts would be well worth the $15 gate fee. I know I cringed at the fee since it was $7 last time but I will gladly add the remaining $8 to secure my annual pass. So there you have it; a fishless report, something I am experienced at��

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah @fishboy, the only negative I've heard about that area is that they are real quick to close the gates when the roads flood and that is a frequent occurrence during heavy rain. I'm working so I hope someone catches it good and the west wind doesn't get on it too bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts