Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last I heard Ft. Pickens Rd. was gonna be open this Friday at the earliest. Anybody know if it looks like it will be open?

We just got a new motor home and wanted to take the family out and do some fishing an crabbing out there this weekend.

Any info or updates would be appreciated and I will post any info I hear.

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EMT90 said:
Do you got the number to call for the status?
Yeah I called. It was a recording last updated on Sunday and was about as vague as it gets, it will be open at the earliest on Fri, possibly later and possibly sooner. Lol

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nextstep said:
good luck dustin dustin!

new motorhome cool:thumbup:
Well its not "mine" its my mom's but I can use it whenever just gotta pay for the gas so that's better than buying one lol.

Its 32' with 3000 original miles, new carpet and AC for 16k

ForumRunner_20120905_181337.jpg

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just my opinion, but the Gulf Isle National Seashore around here is a giant hole that eats our tax dollars.
Wonder why the only beach road wiped out by Isaac from the Pensacola Pass to Destin is on National Seashore property? They refuse to put up sand fences to build protective dunes because that would "upset the natural setting".
As far as communication there's very little on the web site & as you say they don't answer the phone. Tried to drive over to the sand cliff on the north side of HWY 98 East of Gulf Breeze on Sunday - the gate was locked. Went accross the hwy to the headquarters office/museum and they were locked up too. Not even a note on the door. Looked at their web site & didn't see anything about these areas being closed so i sent an email to Superintendent Dan Brown who lists his email on the web site. No response.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Well its not "mine" its my mom's but I can use it whenever just gotta pay for the gas so that's better than buying one lol.

Its 32' with 3000 original miles, new carpet and AC for 16k

View attachment 59815
If you can ever get out there you will have a great time!
My kids and I along with Girlfriend and her Son spent many of nights tent camping at Pickens until Ivan. Took 5 years to get back the next time in a Pop-Up, basically an air-conditioned tent on wheels.
I don't know how many nights we tent camped at Ft.Mcree via a 1972 Glastron tri-hull, and this was in the late 90's!
We were one Hell of a sight in the little boat loaded down with camping supplies and firewood, leaving our dock in Tiger Point. Raised a few eyebrows from the neighbors.
Yes, a ******* with a little money can make a great first impression.
We had more good times basically camping in our backyard than any other far off destinations we traveled.

Pickens is a good place to start. Sunday brunch is only a few miles away, and that late night "I forgot the toilet paper or beer" can be taken care of close by.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Just my opinion, but the Gulf Isle National Seashore around here is a giant hole that eats our tax dollars.
Wonder why the only beach road wiped out by Isaac from the Pensacola Pass to Destin is on National Seashore property? They refuse to put up sand fences to build protective dunes because that would "upset the natural setting".
As far as communication there's very little on the web site & as you say they don't answer the phone. Tried to drive over to the sand cliff on the north side of HWY 98 East of Gulf Breeze on Sunday - the gate was locked. Went accross the hwy to the headquarters office/museum and they were locked up too. Not even a note on the door. Looked at their web site & didn't see anything about these areas being closed so i sent an email to Superintendent Dan Brown who lists his email on the web site. No response.
It's the "I'm God" syndrome so many in public service have. If you have a job it takes an act of congress to remove you from, you're spending money that's not yours and you're never held accountable for your mistakes I can see how that syndrome can become instilled.

Untill we can figure out a way to put public service back into the public servants we will continue to have these vague explainations, slow recoveries and the KMA you civilian peon attitudes.

If you find this far fetched just remind a public servant who they work for and watch their attitude toward the statement, that is unless they are campaigning for office.

Rick

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
It's the "I'm God" syndrome so many in public service have. If you have a job it takes an act of congress to remove you from, you're spending money that's not yours and you're never held accountable for your mistakes I can see how that syndrome can become instilled.

Untill we can figure out a way to put public service back into the public servants we will continue to have these vague explainations, slow recoveries and the KMA you civilian peon attitudes.

If you find this far fetched just remind a public servant who they work for and watch their attitude toward the statement, that is unless they are campaigning for office.

Rick
That is only about exactly right.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Some of the personnel out there are alright but some are horse's butts. I do appreciate that we have that long stretch of beach that is not wall to wall condos so that you can't drive along the beach. Private property owners would even be worse to allow you to use the beach.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I just called. The road to Ft. Pickens is now open but some parking lots are still closed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts