Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If things work out Friday, I'm going to take my kayak to the gulf side in Ft Pickens. My intention is to get used to taking it out and returning to the beach safely. If all goes well, I might try a little fishing while I'm at it. My question is, which parking lot will be best for possibly fishing and getting the kayak to the shoreline? I have my homemade kayak kart but it is untried and besides, I'm not the most able bodied person in the world any more so shorter distances just walking is important. But the possibility of catching some fish for dinner would rate pretty high in importance too.:whistling:

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
The 2nd parking lot is very close. Don't even need a kayak cart. You could drag the yak to the water in the time it takes to strap it to the cart. I rarely get skunked with a decent fish there.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you guys. Second parking lot it is. I hope to have something besides a near drowning to report later . I'll be wearing my PFD so probably no near drowning so that was just a joke.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was almost flat till about 11:00 but an occasional 2 footer turned to quite a few 2 footers and I dumped twice while at anchor just fishing. Had the anchor on a trolly at the end of the kayak and the waves were coming from the bow first time and then I swapped ends with the anchor and they were coming from the stern. I don't know if it was tuening around and the waves coming from behind me or they just got more active but I started getting a little sea sick and started reeling in the lines and that was dump number 2. I didn't catch anything and a guy on a hobie said he was getting cut off by spanish when he was trying to catch some pompano and he didn't have a wire leaders with him so he wasn't doing too good either. But I don't think he had as bad a day as me. I'm gonna think about it but I do believe that kayaking isn't for me. May have a Perception Pescadore 12' for sale soon. Maybe.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been trying up around Simpson river landing and am not well coordinated fishing from my kayak even without the waves. I never got dumped inshore but couldn't get things together there either. I have a problem with ear pressure that plays with my balance that has been getting worse as I get older and I've gotten a lot older lately it seems. I also have breathing problems that makes me rest an awful lot when paddling so doing it for the exercise isn't in the cards for me. I like the kayak because of the ability to launch almost anywhere but I have to use a trailer to carry mine so that isn't as applicable as I had wanted. I'm not sure about getting rid of the kayak yet but I'm shore thinking hard about it. And doing it sooner than later will keep my losses to minimum compared to trying to sell it in October.
I have a catamaran that I'm getting ready to play with and it will make a more stable platform to play and fish from. Won't be able to get it up into a lot of places the kayak could go, but it has a lot of advantages over the kayak for me in the shape I'm in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Trying to find the dump in for the kayak

Hi All

I was looking at the Ft Pickens map.. replies said "2nd parking lot" for dump in. I saw about 7 parking lots on the map. Are you guys referring to the parking lot east of the snack bar or the lot across from the pier? Hope to catch some sun and some fish for the first time there tomorrow.

Thanks all
Storm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts