Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in Ft Morgan this coming week. I need some advice surf fishing the beach there. When is the best time of day/ night to fish? What are people catching and how are they catching them? Hoping to catch some good eating fish off the beach. Again, any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lady J! I listened to a couple reports. Any advice for fishing off the beach? Will the full moon mess up surf fishing? I am looking to learn as much as possible about surf fishing methods in the area before I get there. That way I can get the tackle and bait that I need.

·
Constitution Conservative
2,564 Posts
With live or cut fish bait on medium heavy or heavy gear (20#+ line) you can EXPECT bullreds, sharks, jack crevelle, bull drum and stingrays.
On lighter gear (with shrimp pieces) you can target whiting, pompano, slot reds, etc.

You can also carry a 7'-8' rod 8#-12# class combo with a lure tied on 3/4 to one ounce spoon, sinking hardbait, etc. for speckled seatrout, bluefish, spanish mackerel, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chile. What size circle hooks do you recommend for bull reds? Can you catch them off the beach on the gulf side or do you need to go somewhere like the dixie bar? Do people usually catch speckles in the first trough or deeper water?

·
Constitution Conservative
2,564 Posts
Thanks Chile. What size circle hooks do you recommend for bull reds? Can you catch them off the beach on the gulf side or do you need to go somewhere like the dixie bar? Do people usually catch speckles in the first trough or deeper water?
The whole Point is great for Bull Reds and Blacks.
I prefer to fish in the Yellow, but will fish anywhere in the Red.
Sometimes you'll have to find them, on the Bay side in the deeper water off the big dropoff, other times they'll be more in the shallows of Dixie Bar on the actual point of the Point and Eastward.

Specks, Spanish, Flounder and Blues are usually hot all along the Bay side along the dropoff and shallows, from the boat ramp South.
Always try for flounder around the concrete blocks at the foot of the Fort's parking lot walkway.

For Bull Reds/BlacksI fish a double drop rig, like a pomp rig, but beefier.
20-50# FC with 4"-5" drops, 4/0-7/0 Mustad Demon Perfect Circles with a .5"-.75" piece of yellow or orange soft sunglasses strap and baited with mullet, shrimp, crab or squid.
Another winner is a beefy Carolina Rig, 2'-3' of 20-50# FC or Mono, with a 4/0-7/0 circle, baited with mullet, shrimp, crab or squid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts