Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in Fort Morgan from 7/18 -24 (from Texas) and am looking for some tips for the area. I fish out of a Hobie Outback so I can cover a lot of ground for a kayak. I have fished BTB, in the bay's and fish some relatively large open water in Texas so I am comfortable with the enviroment - not to mention a huge safety nerd. I will be staying at the three mile marker very close to Tacky Jacks/Gulf Shores Marina. I would like to fish both offshore and in the bay and have a few questions:
1. Are there any structures - underwater/rigs/buoys that are within paddling distance of the beach?
2. Are the rigs/wrecks in the bay near the fort productive spots?
3. Are the flats near Navy Cove productive for reds or specks? If so, any tips for baits, lures and rigs?
4. Dixey Bar: is it safe for kayaking on an outgoing tide? I've heard conflicting reports.
5. Are there any regular group launch spots in the area that don't mind a stranger joining in for safety's sake?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wirelessly posted

1) not that I know of. The old timers said there was a cluster of ballast rocks right before the fort, I have looked several times and can't locate them. Even took old timer with me and he said they have been covered up.
2) rigs have been good mid morning on. I have been having better luck fishing the piers, sea walls and watching for bait schools.
You can fish pier lights in the bay and catch plenty on anything grubs, flukes and anything that resembles a glass minnow or shrimp
3) lots of flounder, reds, a few specks and too many lady fish to cast. Topwater the am, mirrodines, gulp shrimp (pin fish will be a problem), grubs etc.
4) I would not go to Dixie bar in a kayak period. Not only do you have current but you have tons of boats coming through and then you have the tankers that create a huge waves
There is a larger tournament going on 7/17-19 and Dixie bar and all the bay rigs will be covered with boats.

5) I'm not aware of any groups but you could check the kayak forum

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Three bay spots nearby that hold trout.
1. Just off the boat launch by the fort is a sunken barge. Freelance live bait up to the structure.
2. Just west before the outlet to the gulf are some broken concrete pilings. Have caught a lot of trout there.
3. Navy Cove Marina to your east. Live bait and grubs/jigheads - I find the Zoom Flukes in Baby Bass color work well here.

I know of a fourth spot, but I ain't giving it up!

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts