Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my first fishing report lol. I'm a rookie fisherman :baby and I was anxious yesterday to finally catch something bigger than a speckled trout .

Headed to Mcree after work and we arrived there around 6:30pm. There were only two boats and they left shortly after we arrived.Not a good sign.

Anyways..around dawn got my first Red! and a little later my first Black Drum! (used shrimps)

Very happy with my catches even though if it was not bitting good at all (my two friends didnt catch anything).

Beautiful evening/night with full moon, dolphins right in front of us and smooth waters.

·
Banned
464 Posts
First Red and First Black Drum on your first time out!!! I'd say you had a great day!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah!

Marine Scout (29/04/2010)First Red and First Black Drum on your first time out!!! I'd say you had a great day!!!
I meant dusk not dawn (doesnt let me edit post)

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Just a suggestion, in the video it looked like you were really yanking on him and your drag was set really tight, I think you may have been lucky to land this one without a break off, if he had been any bigger he would have snapped you off, it is best with reds that big and bigger to have the drag set a <span style="text-decoration: underline;">little loose so if they do muscle up and run they dont break you off. Congrats on the catch.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sunshine17 (29/04/2010)Was the red legal?
No...a tad too big (estimated ~30") so I released it.

I printed and laminated a chart yesterday with all the fishes and their size limits and other restrictions....man that's a lot of stuff to learn.

CCC (29/04/2010)Just a suggestion, in the video it looked like you were really yanking on him and your drag was set really tight, I think you may have been lucky to land this one without a break off, if he had been any bigger he would have snapped you off, it is best with reds that big and bigger to have the drag set a <span style="text-decoration: underline;">little loose so if they do muscle up and run they dont break you off. Congrats on the catch.
Thanks for the advice! I still have a lot to learn :).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts