Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the river cabin, looking across the water, I could see rafts of shad. Thousands of baits in one school. This happens every summer.

When we catfish just one good castnet throw can get 10 lbs of bait. So my theory is I can castnet 100 lbs of shad, freeze them, and use as saltwater bait and chum.

Anybody tried this ever?

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Shad and menhaden are similar and salt water fish love menhaden. I once lived by a lake that had roach fish, i.e., wild shiners. I used those at PC pier for kings and spanish and bonitos.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well. Since 2 of us say "Go fart" and 45 read the post and din say nuffin. I'll be netting some shads! Can't see a downside.

Wonder if I pulled a shrimp net would I violate a bunch of laws. Hmmmm....

·
Registered
548 Posts
Fish bite at shiny stuff even metal so I don't think they would turn away from the freshwater bait. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We used to put them in a chum churn and they worked great! We froze them in gallon size ziplock bags. They wouldn't stay on the hook very well but they were great for chum.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot about the salt. I wouldn't care about the mushy for making chum. I'll stick with that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts